Discuss Wiring in a new Blink doorbell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

huwy123

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm researching how to wire in a new Blink doorbell and had a couple of questions
1. Is the below Friedland Type 4 transformer likely to work (see below)?
2. If not, to bypass the chime. Should I connect the wires going to T0 and T3 (as suggested on another thread) via a choc/wago?
Really appreciate any advise,
Huw

chime.jpgblink.JPG

Let's see if we can advance this one a bit!

Regarding the current unit:
The connections made suggest the two wires in terminals 0 and 3 are coming from a transformer.
(There would normally also be a pair of wires between 0 and 2 going to the push switch.)

The reason for the lack of response is that it isn't possible to say from the information given that the transformer that supplies the current unit is suitable for the new one. I'd err on saying it's unlikely as there are plenty of 8v transformers out there.

Can you take a picture of the actual transformer which is likely to be located near consumer unit/fuse box?

It might look like this:
1658322922113.png

Thanks for your reply. That does move it along.
I assume this is the transformer.....?
It does not look very new!

Attachments

• IMG_9950 (1).jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 24
Is the below Friedland Type 4 transformer likely to work (see below)?
That is not a transformer. That is the bell (ding dong) solenoid.
Thanks for your reply. That does move it along.
I assume this is the transformer.....?
It does not look very new!
Yes, that is a bell transformer. They dont make em like that anymore!

IHNI if it is suitable for Blink. Suggest you look at the Blink spec and buy a new transformer that meets the requirement!

Thanks for replying.

So it looks like I need to buy a 16v transformer and an enclosure to put it in (as the consumer unit is full).

I'd like to put the new doorbell on (and just run it with batteries for now).

Is disconnecting/removing the current doorbell going to cause issues for anything else on that circuit (e.g. the garage light)?

Even if it were suitable (which I’m more than 99% sure it isn’t) it’s not safe as there’s single insulated cables entering it from the consumer unit.

If you want to remove the current doorbell then just disconnect the two wire in the first photo you posted, the old chime unit. Put a terminal block on the end of each until the transformer can be safely removed.

It’s not a hard job to remove / change the transformer but it would require working inside the consumer unit so I’d advise getting a sparks to help. It’s a quick inexpensive job.

Reply to Wiring in a new Blink doorbell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net