Discuss Wiring issue on a custom build Jeep Comanche in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have no luck posting this in Jeep forums, so I thought I’d give this a go.

I am in the process of restoring a 1988 Jeep Comanche from the ground up. We are using the wiring harness from a 1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ. The re wiring has been going well with all the modification we are making to the truck, until now. One of the mods we are doing is adding a double din stereo, so we can use Android Auto as well as backup cameras. To do this we had to customize the dash as it was designed for single din only. This meant modifying the duct work to make room for the unit, it also required relocating the climate control lower in the dash. This created a problem as the HVAC system did not allow for enough space for the original climate control panel. The solution was to use a control panel from a 1999 Cherokee XJ. That has lead to the current problem with wiring. The 99 panel is different in many ways, but I have been able to get the vacuum controls to work correctly as well as the fan and temp controls. After connecting all the wires that the 99 has to the correlated 93 wires I am left with 3 wires that from the 93 and no power to the control panel other than illumination. So, I need to figure out a way to get power to the 99 panel.

On the 93 harness for the A/C-Heater control there is the vacuum connection and 2 electrical plugs. The 99 only has a vacuum and 1 electrical plug. After some trial and error this is what I came up with for connecting them.

1993 XJ harness 1999 XJ A/C-Heater control

Fan connections 7 pin connector

HI DG wire pin 2 BK/TN wire

M2 LB wire pin 3 LB wire

M1 TN wire pin 4 LG wire

LO YL/BR wire pin 5 TN wire

Ground BLK wire pin 1 BK/VT wire

A/C switch sense LG/WT wire pin 6 LG wire

Lamps OR wire pin 7 OR wire

The 3 wires without a home from the 93 harness are highlighted in the diagram:

Pin E YL/BR wire – this wire is in the same circuit as the wire I connected to pin 5.

Pin D BK/TN – 12V power

Pin B BK/TN – 12V power

Attachments

• 1999 panel.pdf
    189.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1993 pin outs.pdf
    725.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 1999 pin outs.pdf
    176.7 KB · Views: 3
1st off you are trying to make a radical change in a designed system!and this is tricky, you should go directly to jeeps website and discuss this with technical support.
since you are restoring a vehicle that is past its warranty they are not liable for it. print out your diagrams and read them side by side.
you should be able to figure this out, But any un-connected wires must be insulated against possible shorting.
also note the current draw is not exceeding the ampacity of the wire or you could easily see all your work go up in flames.

seriously this is not a job for a diy. get a competent electrician to sort it out for you.

while I am a retired industrial electrician in the US. I and classified as a diy here.

Why didn't you just use a single din unit with a pop out screen, never ever over complicate stuff like this.

Reply to Wiring issue on a custom build Jeep Comanche in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock