Discuss Wiring Lighting Circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

p11jor

Hi there, was in the wholesalers today and got chatting to the staff and was told that apparently the NICEIC want you to send the feeds to the switches, neutrals together etc, oppose to three bar wiring (loop in)

Anyone else heard this,?

I wouldn't believe it, would make for a right pain in the arse in houses, loose connectors in switches, no permanent feed at ceiling roses etc, bigger trunking/chases down walls

Last edited:
Hi there, was in the wholesalers today and got chatting to the staff and was told that apparently the NICEIC want you to send the feeds to the switches, neutrals together etc, oppose to three bar wiring (loop in)

Anyone else heard this,?

And just who the hell is NICEIC to tell anyone to do anything?? Do they actually think they are some sort of authority now too!!! And that little gem would be the last thing to be making a stand on!!

Haha thought it may be a load of nonsense.....glad I chose napit!.....

Just going on the niceic website now to see what time I should go to bed

Funny this ... I was in a wholesalers and a chap there said to me I hope you are buying those through crimps for your care radio repairs as my NICEIC inspector said they are not allowed for solid core wire like flat T&E.
Kind Regards, David

Last edited:
Neutral to switches is how we do most of our wiring. It makes it a lot easier when wiring down-lights etc, especially when you've got multiply switching circuits in one room. Do don't do much of the old 3 plate system.

wouldn't it be a lot easier for everybody to just put a junction box in the ceiling above the switch, a single cable to the light and a single cable to the switch, not this problem where you can have 4 cables squeezed into a ceiling rose (one for an additional light, one for a switch ,one for a supply, one for the next room etc).

loop in/out at the switch has its advantages/disavantages

good points
no need to work on step ladder when testing
adding extra lights is easy as you can just link across to another gang switch then up to light fitting ideal for out side lights/downlighters

down side
ceiling fans that require permanent live feed
bathroom extractor fans being fed with permnent feed from bathroom light 3core and earth

just my opinoins

Use electricians have something called common sense and the ability to use it. If you know lots of fancy light fittings are going up or you're wiring for downlighters then loop in switches are preferable.
If it's all standard pendants and baton holders then loop in at lights.
If you don't wanna do either then it's a big ole junction box.

I don't really belive anyone at the NICEIC would of said what 'the guy at the wholesaler' told you he said. (sounds like a big game of chinese whispers)

Reply to Wiring Lighting Circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net