Discuss Wiring Lighting Circuits more than 2x 2 ways and intermediate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimbo4591

I understand basic lighting circuits/diagrams and 2 ways and 3 ways involving an intermediate. (Well i say that but i might struggle second fixing the intermediate, but i do know the first fix).
How do you wire more than 3 switches to switch light(s)? Do you just add another intermediate and take another 3 core to it from the last intermediate. Or is it not possible? im sure its rare that we wire for 4 switches but my boss could have done without me knowing lol!

I understand basic lighting circuits/diagrams and 2 ways and 3 ways involving an intermediate. (Well i say that but i might struggle second fixing the intermediate, but i do know the first fix).
How do you wire more than 3 switches to switch light(s)? Do you just add another intermediate and take another 3 core to it from the last intermediate. Or is it not possible? im sure its rare that we wire for 4 switches but my boss could have done without me knowing lol!

Your intermediate has 2 wires in and 2 wires out to the next,just,breaking the strappers.(of a normal 2way)You can do this as many times as you like,but it you were coming from your last switch which is a 2 way,you would connector block the twin,extend it to your intermediate,then bring another pair back again.But I don't think your idea of 3core would do.

You can add intermediates as many times as you like really. And yes, your idea of 3core between does work and is the most common way I know of this being carried out in domestic premises. L1 and L2 will be wired in and out of each side of intermediate and common linked in connector block straight through at each intermediate also switch.

You can add intermediates as many times as you like really. And yes, your idea of 3core between does work and is the most common way I know of this being carried out in domestic premises. L1 and L2 will be wired in and out of each side of intermediate and common linked in connector block straight through at each intermediate also switch.

good to know that,I was thinking intermediate switches had four terminals
silly me.

Hehe, silly you indeed! Intermediates do have 4 terminals. They have L1 and L2 at top and L1 and L2 at bottom, sometimes differ but always have two sets of L1 and L2 for incoming cable and outgoing cable. However you can use the brown of the three core as common link in a choc block inside back of dimmer switch, then you brown sleeved black and greys can go into L1 and L2 on each side of switch.

Hehe, silly you indeed! Intermediates do have 4 terminals. They have L1 and L2 at top and L1 and L2 at bottom, sometimes differ but always have two sets of L1 and L2 for incoming cable and outgoing cable. However you can use the brown of the three core as common link in a choc block inside back of dimmer switch, then you brown sleeved black and greys can go into L1 and L2 on each side of switch.

the question poster was wishing to add another intermediate switch from an intermediate switch with a 3 core cable.You insisted that it can be done.The method you desribe above is in effect 2 x 3cores,so I have to say sorry matt but you are talking out of your ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
the question poster was wishing to add another intermediate switch from an intermediate switch with a 3 core cable.You insisted that it can be done.The method you desribe above is in effect 2 x 3cores,so I have to say sorry matt but you are talking out of your arse.

No i'm not mate, it works and is carried out lots of times on rewires by myself and many others that i work with.

ok...

One 2 way switch has 3core, forgetting about switch lines ok? Brown in common, black in L1 sleeved brown, grey in L2 sleeved brown. to first intermediate, black sleeved goes in L1, grey sleeved goes in L2, brown comon goes in connector block. Coming out otherside you have 3core again black sleeved in L1, grey sleeved in L2, brown in connector blocked with other common brown.

Same applies to next intermediate, and then onto the farthest 2 way switch.

Got it? :p

Your additional new switch has FOUR terminals ,your cable has THREE cores---discuss????

slocm3105 is right mate! you can wire intermediates with 3 core and earth cables. there's more than 1 way to do intermediates. and that goes for 2 ways as well.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us take a step back and look at what jimbo is asking -

How do you wire more than 3 switches to switch light(s)? Do you just add another intermediate and take another 3 core to it from the last intermediate.

First of all mate if you have 3 switches controlling a light they are 2 x 2way, + 1 x intermediate.

To add another switch i.e make 4way switching off the last switch which would be 2 way, you would simply run 1 x 3core+cpc move that 2 way to the end of the circuit (your new 3core) and install a new intermediate switch where that 2 way was.

Now if you wanted to break in to the switching circuit at say switch 2 of the now 4 switch circuit which is intermediate then as mrloy says simply drop one pair out of one of the L1L2 terminals, run 2 x twin and earths to new switch, connect 1 pair of the new T+E's to original L1L2 terminals and the other pair jointed with crimps to the old existing pair you have just dropped out of the original switch (2). Place new intermediate switch on new switch position.

Cheers:D

Your additional new switch has FOUR terminals ,your cable has THREE cores---discuss????

no.....?
what you could possibly have done with your 3core extention is
If you were at the 2 way switch at the end,you could change this for an
intermediate,and then make the new switch a two way.Perhaps this is where your confusion lies.Or maybe you were trying to use a dimmer,but as you have only just come out of your 9month domestic course I will forgive you.

Now that is a comment towards me im guessing? And yes how I have described is how I and many others would wire 2x2way switches and 2x intermediates from scratch, which is what has been asked. breaking into the circuit would require the likes of what Lenny has described.

Exactly, JAson, the bottom diagram in his link is the way it is done. OF course adding another intermediate includes extending those strappers to accomodate another intermediate.

Last edited:
Let us take a step back and look at what jimbo is asking -

First of all mate if you have 3 switches controlling a light they are 2 x 2way, + 1 x intermediate.

To add another switch i.e make 4way switching off the last switch which would be 2 way, you would simply run 1 x 3core+cpc move that 2 way to the end of the circuit (your new 3core) and install a new intermediate switch where that 2 way was.

Now if you wanted to break in to the switching circuit at say switch 2 of the now 4 switch circuit which is intermediate then as mrloy says simply drop one pair out of one of the L1L2 terminals, run 2 x twin and earths to new switch, connect 1 pair of the new T+E's to original L1L2 terminals and the other pair jointed with crimps to the old existing pair you have just dropped out of the original switch (2). Place new intermediate switch on new switch position.

Cheers:D

exactly thank you.Len
dimmers are no help;)

corr blimey i left it for nearly a week and look how many hits lol! no need for arguements guys haha. thanks a lot, i do act understand it, basically a pair from intermediate to intermediate (grey n black) and linking brown (common) all the way through to the last switch which then becomes sw wire to the light?! sounds rediculous, but since i did this thread, i had college on the tues and i had to wire 2x 2 ways and and an intermediate to switch a light in conduit. With a couple of questions i did it no prob. And now im pretty confident on how to wire it in twin/3 cores etc. thanks a lot guys!

the question poster was wishing to add another intermediate switch from an intermediate switch with a 3 core cable.You insisted that it can be done.The method you desribe above is in effect 2 x 3cores,so I have to say sorry matt but you are talking out of your arse.

Hes right mrloy 2 x 3 cores black and grey through the switch and brown in a connector block carried straight as many intermediates as you want until you get to the 2 way and the brown in the top (Common) the other 2 in the l1 l2 with the switch wires.

Reply to Wiring Lighting Circuits more than 2x 2 ways and intermediate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock