Discuss Wiring lights neutral in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello folks
I am attempting to wire some new Down-lights in my new house , I have wired a few sets up before in previous home however the cables going into my ceiling rose seem to be missing live cables and not like the standard Twin & earth i have connected before . I can see that there is a switch wire however I am confused to how and why it is connected like this . I am not a qualified sparky as you have probably guessed 😀so was hopping someone could shed some light on this for me . No pun intended . See pic attached.
Wiring lights neutral EDD4996D-A177-438E-AC34-B92D596F6B39 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
While it is unusual, you do get "one and earth" cable for linking lights up which is what you seem to have here. The idea is you don't always need to run both L & N everywhere so you can save on copper by just running the bit you need.

However, it is rare to see (maybe more common in NI) and often simply not worth the cost of carrying both T&E as well for the rest of the job (and 3&E for two-way switching), etc!

Basically you should retain the same connections when the new lights go in. Here the 1&E is feeding the L of the light (but never assume it is the line, it might be neutral, but for most lamps it is not important) but the N of the light has two connected, presumably one is neutral back to the CU (consumer unit / fuse box) and the other is onwards to another light somewhere. So both need to be joined and to N of the new light.

If your new lights do not have suitable terminals to take two cables then you can join the existing cables using a suitable small Wagobox and some 3-way Wago terminals and then a short link of additional 1mm cable to the light. Don't have joints taped up or left open!

DIY places like Toolstation and Screwfix sell short lengths of 1mm T&E which can be used as needed for modifying light circuits (1mm only for lights though, not power which is minimum 1.5mm for never fully explained reasons in the wiring regulations) as well as suitable junction boxes.

There are several ways in which circuits can be installed and often depends on the spec and/or the sparky doing the work.
If looping off this for your recessed lights, you have all you need, a switched live, neutral and earth (cpc) conductors

While it is unusual, you do get "one and earth" cable for linking lights up which is what you seem to have here. The idea is you don't always need to run both L & N everywhere so you can save on copper by just running the bit you need.

However, it is rare to see (maybe more common in NI) and often simply not worth the cost of carrying both T&E as well for the rest of the job (and 3&E for two-way switching), etc!

Basically you should retain the same connections when the new lights go in. Here the 1&E is feeding the L of the light (but never assume it is the line, it might be neutral, but for most lamps it is not important) but the N of the light has two connected, presumably one is neutral back to the CU (consumer unit / fuse box) and the other is onwards to another light somewhere. So both need to be joined and to N of the new light.

If your new lights do not have suitable terminals to take two cables then you can join the existing cables using a suitable small Wagobox and some 3-way Wago terminals and then a short link of additional 1mm cable to the light. Don't have joints taped up or left open!

DIY places like Toolstation and Screwfix sell short lengths of 1mm T&E which can be used as needed for modifying light circuits (1mm only for lights though, not power which is minimum 1.5mm for never fully explained reasons in the wiring regulations) as well as suitable junction boxes.
Cheers mate that has helped a lot 👍🏻👍🏻

Reply to Wiring lights neutral in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock