Discuss Wiring lights with unlabeled wires, please help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

davidt

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased this light fixture and am confused as to which wire goes where. There seem to be 3 "white wires," plus a green wire that's wrapped around one of them. Can someone help guide me? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Wiring lights with unlabeled wires, please help PXL_20210118_000448671 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20210118_000448671.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Wiring lights with unlabeled wires, please help PXL_20210118_000909760 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20210118_000909760.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 55
The green/yellow is ground. The three white wires appear to be two core with a hot and neutral to each, what do the instructions state.

Is the fitting brand new? Was there some sort of connector block with it?

The green/yellow is ground. The three white wires appear to be two core with a hot and neutral to each, what do the instructions state.
Thanks for taking the time to answer! The instructions were in a different language, so not a big help. So the 2 "core" will connect to the white, the hot to the black and the ground to the ground? How can I tell the difference between the 2 cores and the hot if they're the same color?

looks dodgy to me. those wires seem to be singl core.if so, it's using the ground as a live conductor.if so, the bin is the logical home for it.

They do look like two core but I agree it doesn't look the best quality I have ever seen. Can you show a clearer picture of the end to one of the wires.

What type of light is it? What voltage?

A DIYers point of view. You can shoot me down from a regulatory compliance point of view but I hope you'll think this makes sense from a practical one.

The three wires look two core to me. I'd guess that they go to lampholders of a sort that is symmetrical like a GU10. You can buy a 'bare' lampholder like the ones in my photo and they come with two white leads. There's no reason why one lead and not the other should be the live one, and in a proper fitting one of each pair would be arbitrarily designated live and connect to a connection box labelled L N and E.

So from a regulatory point of view this is presumably not right. But from a practical point of view, and what I'd do if I'd bought one, is to check the wiring is as I've said and if so shorten the three leads and connect them and the earth lead to a suitable junction box with the cores labelled, which might then need to be fixed to the body of the fitting. Whether a professional electrician would be right to do this I don't know but I'd consider the resulting fitting would be fully equivalent to a proper one. Shoot me down if I'm wrong.

It would be a good idea to inspect and test it first! I've bought Chinese equipment with live and neutral specified, but with the switch in the neutral not the live side.

Attachments

• Wiring lights with unlabeled wires, please help GU10 - EletriciansForums.net
    GU10.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A DIYers point of view. You can shoot me down from a regulatory compliance point of view but I hope you'll think this makes sense from a practical one.

The three wires look two core to me. I'd guess that they go to lampholders of a sort that is symmetrical like a GU10. You can buy a 'bare' lampholder like the ones in my photo and they come with two white leads. There's no reason why one lead and not the other should be the live one, and in a proper fitting one of each pair would be arbitrarily designated live and connect to a connection box labelled L N and E.

So from a regulatory point of view this is presumably not right. But from a practical point of view, and what I'd do if I'd bought one, is to check the wiring is as I've said and if so shorten the three leads and connect them and the earth lead to a suitable junction box with the cores labelled, which might then need to be fixed to the body of the fitting. Whether a professional electrician would be right to do this I don't know but I'd consider the resulting fitting would be fully equivalent to a proper one. Shoot me down if I'm wrong.

It would be a good idea to inspect and test it first! I've bought Chinese equipment with live and neutral specified, but with the switch in the neutral not the live side.
thank you for the in depth answer, really appreciate that. I'm gonna try that and see what happens. So basically next time don't buy something from China.

thank you for the in depth answer, really appreciate that. I'm gonna try that and see what happens. So basically next time don't buy something from China.
See what the pros think first! It's hard not to buy from China, but the thing I bought with the switch in the neutral (so it stays live even when off) I complained about to the UK supplier and trading standards and it seems to have been taken off the UK market. Don't like to do that but it was really dangerous.

If the light fitting will replace a ceiling rose you should use a junction box with four connectors if it's "loop-in" wiring, which has a permanent live from the supply and a switched live to the light, connected by a cable to the wall switch.

you should use a junction box with four connectors if it's "loop-in" wiring...

You're not wrong, but I can tell from the way you phrased that, you hadn't spotted the OP is in the USA, where the conventions and regulations are somewhat different; it can get confusing if the instructions are highly specific to the wrong country.

I agree that if it uses 2-pin lampholders the polarity is unimportant, but if they are E27, there is a shock risk if the lamp cap is connected to the hot. We don't know yet what kind of lamp sockets are fitted. OP, please can you confirm what lamps it takes or post a pic of the lamp sockets.

Notwithstanding the cable and if its two core you should not have tried to balance the light on top of your Parrot.

Reply to Wiring lights with unlabeled wires, please help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock