Discuss wiring method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Normanator

What is everyone's opinion of the method used in the photo.
The 6 way Klik boxes are hung on a catenery wire suspended between the beams, and the cables (T&E) are run along the catenery wire fixed with cable ties.
All this will finally be above a suspended ceiling.
Does this method comply with the regulations? I'm not responsible for this installation so I won't be offended by any comments (but please remember no swearing):D

wiring method {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Although i dont think there is anything technically wrong, it does look untidy, regardless of it being out of sight.

The purlings are about 3M above the suspended ceiling height and access to them at a latter date would be difficult.
I did suggest fitting the Kliks to the nearest wall which would mean some longish flex runs but i totally agree that the method used is rough.

It seems an extra cheap and unsightly method
I think if it was presented as one job for assessment, the method used would be a little higher quality wise

A good example of why the annual assessments perhaps could be replaced by on the spot visits

This is an akward thing to get over, particularly if you are required to keep the cost reasonable. We would all like to spend days putting in either a cable tray system or a lighting trunking system with rock roses. Unfortunately, economics (from the clients point of view) dont allow for spending like you were wiring terminal 5.
I must admit, I would prefer to see the Klik boxes hung from the purlins or girders with Britmac clips and maybe the cables suspended on catenary wires. Unfortunately some peoples bank accounts are not bottomless, particularly at the present time with the way the economy is

I think if someone was to quote a deviation from the regs on this one they could use 134.1.1 ..............Good workmanship and proper materials........etc

spark1

This is an installation that is covered by a little known appendix in the shop fitters manual it's known as the "in and out method" well thought of in some areas of our game

hanging them from the purlins is not sufficient

I would disagree, I dont agree that the method of installation is correct but with the pressure put on the joint of the purlin / catenary there would be good enough contact.
I would also say that I dont think it would need to be earthed.
Some catenary wires are installed using eye bolts screwed into masonary, also there is no need to earth ceiling grids as we used to years ago.:rolleyes:

Gentlemen, The In and out method was an attempt at a little site humour, please strike this method from your risk assesments and method statements

Reply to wiring method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock