Discuss Wiring monitors and camera in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi i have been asked to wire a camera that looks into a disabled child's room and to have one monitor in the living room and a monitor in the parents bedroom that both pick up whats happening in the child's room. Any ideas how i would wire this the job is at first fix stage.

Hi i have been asked to wire a camera that looks into a disabled child's room and to have one monitor in the living room and a monitor in the parents bedroom that both pick up whats happening in the child's room. Any ideas how i would wire this the job is at first fix stage.

depends on how much they want to spend,camera wise id go for a nite devil dome,they give a good image in very very low light,depending on the childs disability id keep away from an ir camera they can become fixated by the ir leds,speak to the parents about that one,then either connect straight to the monitor of thru a dvr if they want recording.

They don't need to be able to record. The home owner is away on holiday i just found out of the builder today this has been added in as i am rewiring the house. I need to have the cables ran in for them coming back as the joiners are putting the floors back down this weekend and the plasterer will be finished the same day. Do i just take a coax cable and 2 core 1.5mm cable to each monitor from the camera and then supply the camera with a 2 core 1.5mm from a fcu.

They don't need to be able to record. The home owner is away on holiday i just found out of the builder today this has been added in as i am rewiring the house. I need to have the cables ran in for them coming back as the joiners are putting the floors back down this weekend and the plasterer will be finished the same day. Do i just take a coax cable and 2 core 1.5mm cable to each monitor from the camera and then supply the camera with a 2 core 1.5mm from a fcu.

you just need a coax from the camera to either one point and fit a splitter and then run a coax for each monitor,or take a coax to the first monitor then another to the 2nd monitor,power wise you could run a 2 or 3 core 1.0 mm flex from one of the monitor positions and fit the psu there or have a spur next to the camera and fit your psu there,they only pull about 200ma max so you dont need anything big so personally id put next to one of the monitors as you can get decent little plug in psu's and will save climbing in lofts if you get any power problems

you can do as above,dont forget use rg6 coax or you could run a cat 5 cable and baluns and send your power and video down one cable,from one bedroom to the other then just drop a coax down from the monitor in the bedroom to downstairs.you could also put a small mic in to get audio as well as video.

Thanks for the reply's. There isn't much room for the spur next to the monitors so i think i'll have it next to the camera. So i just take a 1.0mm flex from the spur to the camera then looped off to the 1st monitor and looped again to the 2nd monitor. I have a drum of rg6 coax left over so i'll just use that along with a splitter.

Thanks for the reply's. There isn't much room for the spur next to the monitors so i think i'll have it next to the camera. So i just take a 1.0mm flex from the spur to the camera then looped off to the 1st monitor and looped again to the 2nd monitor. I have a drum of rg6 coax left over so i'll just use that along with a splitter.

you wont need a spur for the power really,just use a plug in psu from the same power socket as the monitor if thats easier..

no the camera will be 12 volt so spur near camera or use a single socket and plug in psu then plug monitors in in each room

i'll go with a socket to plug the psu into next to the camera that sounds easier, so i'm right in thinking i don't need any power cables for the monitors all it will require is a coax to work . Sorry for all the questions guys but i never install cameras so i'm not clued up on them.

i'll go with a socket to plug the psu into next to the camera that sounds easier, so i'm right in thinking i don't need any power cables for the monitors all it will require is a coax to work . Sorry for all the questions guys but i never install cameras so i'm not clued up on them.

just power as in 3 pin plug,tho the monitors you fit depends on the connectors you will use,you can get cctv monitors with bnc connectors or you could use a couple of cheap lcd tvs and get a phono or scart to bnc lead,just see what the customer wants to spend

Reply to Wiring monitors and camera in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock