Discuss Wiring of smart 1 gang light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Amr Kamel

DIY
Reaction score
Hi .. I bought a smart light switch from Sonoff and would like to fix it myself

The current switch has the following wiring .. L1 / COM / Neutral

Wiring of smart 1 gang light switch UK Switch - EletriciansForums.net

The Smart Switch has the Lin / Lout / Nin

Wiring of smart 1 gang light switch Smart Switch - EletriciansForums.net

I'm not sure which wire goes where

Anyone can advise please

Thanks in advance

I cannot see a neutral conductor at your existing switch.

The Sonoff switch is unsuitable as a replacement for your current switch because it requires a Neutral at the switch which is absent. What you can see is a green/yellow wire which is the earth wire. You must not connect the N terminal of your new SONOFF switch to the green/yellow wire - it would create an electric shock risk.

You need to buy a smart switch which specifically says 'no neutral' is required - some manufacturers do make them but I don't think SONOFF do - but you could investigate further.

With a non-neutral type of switch you connect COM (old) to COM/Lin (new) and L1(old) to L1/Lout(new) - having turned all the electricity off first.

Behind the old switch it does not look like the incoming green/yellow is actually connected to the earth terminal on the old switch - it must be.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Wiring of smart 1 gang light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock