Discuss Wiring one circuit through another socket to get to the destenation. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lewbo

Is there any regs number that states you are not allowed to run a circuit a through another socket/spare/mains board etc to get to the destination which is fed from totaly a diffrent mcb ? all help would be greatfull

Thanks
Lewis Young

hi lewbo don't know about a reg for this but i personally wouldn't run another circuit though a plug socket, reason being if someone else comes along and works on that plug socket and isolates it thinking everything is dead you might get somepeople thinking your other circuit going through is part of it and think it is dead to, or could even slip with screwdriver into the other live circuit, you can see what problems can occur there, if i found a situation like that i would put a label at that socket saying there is another circuit fed from another mcb going through it and to isolate both circuits when working on it, thats just my opinion on it,if i have to go through the meter cupboard with a wire to get to another point i always put it in capping to add more protection to the cable

No regulation would be contravened by through wiring in the cases you mention, but it's bad practice as it may lead to confusion with isolation in the future. The only regulations that control through wiring apply solely to luminaires, see BS7671:2008+A1:2011 559.6.2

Sometimes its the only sensible way to ensure that the cables all run in zones - and who in their right mind would try and cut a cable "passing through" a back box??

thanks guys this was my opinion so on the matter that it is bad practise but other electricians were saying they is regs saying you can not do t but couldent remember the reg num and I couldent find anything so I fort I would just ask, thanks again

hi murdoch yes agree no one should be cutting through the cable passing through, but you only have to read some of the posts on the forum to work out some of them just aint got a clue and there could always be a possibility that some one could, thats why i mentioned a label saying there are two seperate supplies then in my opinion you are covering your own back

On a NIC inspection this query came up. One spur above another but both on seperate circuits. Inspector said there was no problem with one circuit running through other spur.

Reply to Wiring one circuit through another socket to get to the destenation. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net