Discuss Wiring Plugs and lights in to garage. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process of converting my garage in to a living space and am just after confirming I am configuring the plugs and lights correctly before going ahead. I will be getting it all tested by a qualified electrician once completed, but am looking to do the work myself. I am competent with running wiring and ensuring connections are secure etc as am an IT technician by trade so know my way around cabling generally.

There is already an electrical connection coming in to the garage from the main fuse box in the house so I will be using this. I'll be having 2 bog standard ceiling lights with individual switches, and 2x2way plug sockets. There will be a tumble dryer in there and likely 2x500w oil heaters and then general tv, xbox, phone charger etc. I've been looking at the following consumer unit:

Axiom Metal 17th Edition Amendment 3 Garage Consumer Unit - https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-metal-17th-edition-amendment-3-garage-consumer-unit/p24537

Would this be sufficient/appropriate for my needs?

As far as wiring, my plan was to run the 2 lights off of the 6a, and then the 2 plugs off of the 32a fuse. I've drawn a very basic diagram here :

Wiring Plugs and lights in to garage. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The other real question I would like to confirm is what cable rating I would need for all of this? Would any twin and earth be sufficient? This for example:

Twin & Earth Cable (6242Y) Grey - https://www.toolstation.com/twin-earth-cable-6242y-grey/p26103

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Wiring Plugs and lights in to garage. layout - EletriciansForums.net

you plan looks IK, but please get electrician in from the start. the work is notifiable to BC.

Hi, I am in the process of converting my garage in to a living space and am just after confirming I am configuring the plugs and lights correctly before going ahead. I will be getting it all tested by a qualified electrician once completed, but am looking to do the work myself. I am competent with running wiring and ensuring connections are secure etc as am an IT technician by trade so know my way around cabling generally.

There is already an electrical connection coming in to the garage from the main fuse box in the house so I will be using this. I'll be having 2 bog standard ceiling lights with individual switches, and 2x2way plug sockets. There will be a tumble dryer in there and likely 2x500w oil heaters and then general tv, xbox, phone charger etc. I've been looking at the following consumer unit:

Axiom Metal 17th Edition Amendment 3 Garage Consumer Unit - https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-metal-17th-edition-amendment-3-garage-consumer-unit/p24537

As far as wiring, my plan was to run the 2 lights off of the 6a, and then the 2 plugs off of the 32a fuse. I've drawn a very basic diagram here :

The other real question I would like to confirm is what cable rating I would need for all of this? Would any twin and earth be sufficient? This for example:

Twin & Earth Cable (6242Y) Grey - https://www.toolstation.com/twin-earth-cable-6242y-grey/p26103

Thanks,
John

View attachment 47773
What type, size is the cable that is supplying the existing electrics in the Garage, also what size is the OCPD covering that supply? Plus why a 32 Amp OCPD for the sockets?

Last edited:
The EIC your "electrician" will be signing off has a part mentioning design.

Let him design it for you. After all it's his name on the certificate.

As has already been stated, this work is notifiable to building control.

Thanks,
John

View attachment 47773

I would also recommend getting a spark in to design for you and if they're happy for you to do so you can then complete the work to their specs, be careful on what cable you are going to use for the sockets, especially if your plan is to run a radial from a 32amp breaker ??

you plan looks IK, but please get electrician in from the start. the work is notifiable to BC.

2.5mm cable on a 32A radial socket circuit... You sure the OPs plan looks ok mate?

Thank you very much for your replies.

You seem surprised at the 32a breaker. This was why I came here to check I would be using the correct spec items. Is 32a too high for it's intended use? Would this be more appropriate?

https://www.screwflix..com/p/chint-nx3-5-module-2-way-populated-garage-consumer-unit/9864v

Has a 16a one instead of the 32a.

Is 2.5mm cable not suitable for plug sockets? Ex's father was a builder and whenever I helped him out he always used 2.5mm for plugs. Well, he actually used it for everything from wiring to tying the boot door down when picking up a sofa, haha.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

John.

2.5mm cable doesn't ave suitable current carrying capacity for use on a 32 amp radial circuit.

Please consult a local electrician to help you with this.

John,

You are clearly not competent as a designer or indeed as an installer. With respect being an IT technician this confers no competence in domestic wiring.

Also can you explain how you will comply with the Wiring Regulations in respect of the testing of the circuits and the bringing of the new work into service as you cannot sign off the Electrical Installation Certificate, neither are you deemed able to undertake the Inspection and Testing.

Also can you explain how you will comply with the Wiring Regulations in respect of the testing of the circuits and the bringing of the new work into service as you cannot sign off the Electrical Installation Certificate, neither are you deemed able to undertake the Inspection and Testing.

I will be getting it all tested by a qualified electrician once completed,

OP: Which does beg the question, why are you not asking the electrician who will be putting his name to this work? He should be your first point of contact, not us.

Well he would he is a Builder after all

Thanks,
John

View attachment 47773

You seem surprised at the 32a breaker. This was why I came here to check I would be using the correct spec items. Is 32a too high for it's intended use? Would this be more appropriate?

https://www.screwflix..com/p/chint-nx3-5-module-2-way-populated-garage-consumer-unit/9864v

Is 2.5mm cable not suitable for plug sockets? Ex's father was a builder and whenever I helped him out he always used 2.5mm for plugs. Well, he actually used it for everything from wiring to tying the boot door down when picking up a sofa, haha.

John.

John.
Most Builders do John, because they don't know diddly squat about electrics.

John,

You are clearly not competent as a designer or indeed as an installer. With respect being an IT technician this confers no competence in domestic wiring.

I won't be signing any certificates, as I said, before I actually use it I will be finding a professional to check it and sign it off. As far as running cables and wiring sockets/fuses, I am totally confident in my competence. My question is mainly related to the correct cable and consumer box to use, and if my layout plan would be incorrect or unsafe. Over the years I have installed power to small bases in Afghanistan from generators, i've installed hard wired security lights and replaced numerous sockets amongst many other electrical repairs. My issue is that it's always been with pre-provided items or direct replacements. My questions are purely are the suggested items sufficient etc.

I've contacted a couple of electricians, but both quotes were approaching 4 figures which when I know I can do the work myself to a decent standard, I am reluctant to fork out. I may be able to call around more and get one that will advise on the design, but figured if I asked on a professional forum I might be able to get the info..

Thanks again,

John.

I've contacted a couple of electricians, but both quotes were approaching 4 figures which when I know I can do the work myself to a decent standard, I am reluctant to fork out. I may be able to call around more and get one that will advise on the design, but figured if I asked on a professional forum I might be able to get the info..

Totally understand you wanting to save money.
Please understand that this should be talked through with the electrician who will be signing it off. There are plenty of different ways to do the job and the way you have suggested may not be liked by the electrician. Talk to them and see which way he/she is happy with.
Everyone is then happy.

Last edited:
Over the years I have installed power to small bases in Afghanistan from generators, i've installed hard wired security lights and replaced numerous sockets amongst many other electrical repairs.

Doesn't mean you've been doing it right though.

I've contacted a couple of electricians, but both quotes were approaching 4 figures which when I know I can do the work myself to a decent standard, I am reluctant to fork out.

I think they may have over priced so they don't get the work.
I would try an find some other electricians to engae. Offer to carry out the labouring side of the work to reduce costs and ask them to inspect at agreed points, this way you could reduce costs.

If your turning it into a living space you will have to conform with other related building regs, not just part p.

As already mentioned, the electrical work will need to conform to regs and be designed appropriately. Personally I don't think your design is suitable. Has an electrician discussed the design and installation options with you?

John with all due respect, you simply asking the questions you are indicates that you do not know how to design the circuit, so you cannot possibly take on a Designer's role. What you have done in Afghanistan is irrelevant.

With regards to inspection and testing, unless the Inspector is in a Scheme, the Building Control will need to come and inspect. If the electrician IS within a Scheme then the Scheme rules do NOT permit him to undertake third party testing unless he has witnessed various items of the work. This is why people are finding it more and more difficult to find someone to "sign-off" DIY work.

Should the electrician decide to sign-off without complying with the various requirements for the Scheme, then the work he does "sign off" is not recognised or covered under that Scheme and YOU as the householder are breaching Building Regulations.

I am sorry to be the one bearing such information but things have changed.

You also need to consider the house insurance situation, as the insurance Company may require the work is only undertaken by a suitably skilled and competent electrician. If you do the work yourself then you would have to demonstrate that you are.

There is a reason why we have had to go through various training courses and pass a series of examinations

Hi all,

So based on some of the comments in here and some extra research I went ahead and did the install. I contacted an electrician to come and do a proper inspection and he was impressed with the work. He wanted to change 2 things before he would sign it off. The earth attached to the main fuse board in the house was not to a safe standard (external to anything I had done) and he wants to separate the plugs to 2 16a fuses in the garage junction box rather than 1. Other than that he said everything was done really well. He did say he would probably have used 1mm instead of 1.5mm for the lights but it wasn't an issue. I now have everything working and safe.

Thanks for your replies and advice.

John.

How are you going to separate the sockets into 2 16A circuits and a lighting circuit when you only were going to fit a two-way consumer unit? you could always change the 16A for a 20A. What was the supply to the conversion protective device rating?

Reply to Wiring Plugs and lights in to garage. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock