Discuss Wiring question re new outside light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

skind56

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I'm replacing a PIR outside light with a new Dusk till Dawn light but have wiring questions. The new light has 2 connections, i.e. blue(neutral) and brown(live) but no earth. As can be seen in my image, for the existing light, there are 3 wires so I think the wires go:

1) black(old) goes to blue(new)?

2) yellow(old) to brown(new)?

3) what do I do with the earth wire?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
IMG_2710.JPGSteve

what buzz means is to terminate the green into a single choc block terminal but not connect it to the light.

Looks a bit iffy...singles and looks like different types of cable, solid and stranded. Jointed or extended?

To me, the black looks bigger than the yellow.... 2.5 instead of 1.5? Could be my eyes.

yellow to brown of the fitting.
Black to blue
G/y into a spare connector. Don’t leave it floating.

isolate before working please.

Certainly an odd selection of colours there, I dread to think what is behind the old light base, presumably at least 2 cables.

To me, the black looks bigger than the yellow.... 2.5 instead of 1.5? Could be my eyes.

yellow to brown of the fitting.
Black to blue
G/y into a spare connector. Don’t leave it floating.

isolate before working please.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yes the black is stranded and so looks bigger than yellow.

Thanks for confirming yellow to brown and black to blue.

As for the earth, and if I understand buzzlightyear's suggestion, then can I cut off the existing single block where the earth is, and have it terminated there (obviously without the existing earth out to lamp)? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again
Steve

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yes the black is stranded and so looks bigger than yellow.

Thanks for confirming yellow to brown and black to blue.

As for the earth, and if I understand buzzlightyear's suggestion, then can I cut off the existing single block where the earth is, and have it terminated there (obviously without the existing earth out to lamp)? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again
Steve
if you can understand buzz's posts, you'e a 2nd Einstein. o_O o_O o_O

Reply to Wiring question re new outside light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net