Discuss Wiring Relay for a Float switch HEEEEELP!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gatewrights

Hi
Ive got a "Feme RCP8 002" Relay and want to wire in a magnetic float switch for a water tank so when the tank is full the switch turns off the 240v water pump im using.
Ive attached a photo.
So basically just want the water pump to tun off when the tank is full and back on when water level drops.
Thanks in advance!!photo.JPG

if i remember rightly, i did some of these years ago using 2 float switches and 2 relays. one combination to start and one to stop. i know it can be done with 2 floats and 1 relay.

Thanks for that. but I know how the switch works im just not sure how to wire into the relay ie which terminals do I wire the power supply , pump and switch to ?

Switch is wrong way round really for this but can use normally closed contacts on relay so it will still work so here goes.
Neutral to A2
One side of float switch to A1.
Other side of float switch to 230v supply.
230v to term 11 on relay.
term 12 on relay to your pump live. Confirm on side of the relay that term 11 and 12 or normally closed pair.
Neutral direct to pump neutral.
When powered and float switch hanging the relay will be de-energised and the pump will run due to using a N/C contact on the relay.
When switch triggers ( level reached ) the relay will energise and switch off the pump.
I assume you have rcd on this circuit as sticking 230v in a water tank via switch could be dodgy if it ever failed.
Other downside to using this float switch is if the relay ever failed it would run pump continuously and overfill your tank.
Always best to use right float switch etc!!!!!!! and have a high level cut off!!!!!!!!
Further to this is the pump will only operate between the small distance the that switch travels between off and on!!!!
Looking at the demo you can mount the switch either way so can use N/O contact instead thus ridding the proble of flooding if it failed.

Last edited:
The switch is the same as a ball valve though so when float drops down the switch is on until the water gets back up to the level required to straighten float and tun off switch. (first photo switch on, second switch off)

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Also I thought both switch wires had to pass through the relay first instead of as youve stated "one dirctly to 230v supply"?
this is only a 1 amp switch and I thought the relay arrangement made it safe as the current running from relay to switch is lower ?

if i remember rightly, i did some of these years ago using 2 float switches and 2 relays. one combination to start and one to stop. i know it can be done with 2 floats and 1 relay.

For a pump to empty a tank it is connected the following. the bottom float is connected across the contactor hold on contacts, when the top float makes the contactor energises pump starts to running when the bottom float opens the pump stops running.

To do it as the op wants is not a very good idea with one float as it will be constantly switching on and off when the level rises and falls unless a timer or another switch is used.

Last edited:
i would use a relay/s with 12volt coils anyway. 230 into the float switch is not a good idea. my way of doing the job would be to use 2 floats. independently operating. 1 float to make when tank is full and turn pump off. 1 float to switch pump on when empty

Last edited:
Let me explain why I only need one float switch.

We use this tank to fill up with purified water for window cleaning (its in my shed with the filter system and the pump that fills the tank).
once a day I pull my van upto the shed and with a seperate pump (thats in the van so this pump is nothing to do with the equation) and draw approx 1/2 the water from the tank in the shed into a tank in the van this only takes 2 mins.
as I draw the water and it drops down I want the filter sytem pump to kick in and start filtering pure water back into the shed tank until the tank is full again and then stop once it hits the float switch :0)

Reply to Wiring Relay for a Float switch HEEEEELP!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net