Discuss Wiring size in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
In new construction, if I make a 20amp run of say 4 outlets using 12-2 wiring, can I come off of an outlet with 14-2 wiring for my lighting? Or do I have to make a separate run of 14-2 for the lights? Sorry I'm a newbee.

your regs. are different to ours. usually we run lights on their own circuit/breaker, separate from outlets. when we do come from an outlet circuit to lights, we fuse down after the outlet to suit the smaller light cable, usually 5A.

In new construction, if I make a 20amp run of say 4 outlets using 12-2 wiring, can I come off of an outlet with 14-2 wiring for my lighting? Or do I have to make a separate run of 14-2 for the lights? Sorry I'm a newbee.
No you can’t come off your receptacle circuit, you need to pull a separate circuit for lighting. The receptacles are on a 20 amp breaker which is good for 2000 watts and # 14 is just good for 1500 watts or 15 amp breaker

No you can’t come off your receptacle circuit, you need to pull a separate circuit for lighting. The receptacles are on a 20 amp breaker which is good for 2000 watts and # 14 is just good for 1500 watts or 15 amp breaker
was confused there. then i realised you're referring to 120V, not 240V. DOH!.

Reply to Wiring size in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock