Discuss Wiring solar kiln in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Martins

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am willing to do a solar wood kiln. Part of that includes fans that I want to connect to solar panels. As it is solar kiln then most of the time fans need to work when there is sun in the sky. Still, I would like to run one fan from a battery. It is hard to find fans that can keep high temp and run 12/24V DC, also need to have around 2000 - 3000 CFM together. Do plan to use car radiator fans.

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/WbAgxqj.png
I have managed to gather information and draw up simple schema. Only problem that I can't get is - how to wire fans that don't need back-up through MPPT. Becouse most MPPT have "DC load" port, but it is advised as up to 100W. I can't wire them to batteries as they are expensive. Also 60-70Ah battery with one fan will last maybe 30-45 min.
Other thing is - how to add some control to battery so that it will not be fully drained when there is no sun.

Will hope to get some advice.

Thanks for the hint.
I could add 2-3 more solar panels. Still, then battery charging will be low.
I could find 24/48v fans. For 24V I see that most mppt works. But how to wire for 48V fans? Also, there is not much options for 24/48V batteries.

HI,right,start from the other end.... determine what is your power load and duration,then work backwards,to determine what daily or otherwise use,you require,bearing in mind,actual likely PV output,and proper utilisation of batteries,not beyond recommended minimum capacity.

What is the function of this kiln? You may have a better energy source available,if there is a vast heat store.

Is this cooling safety critical? or does it's sudden loss,only mean particularly poorly made ceramic thimbles......

Tell us more...i'm desperate to prove that us British can extend the hand of friendship,to our Lativian neighbours (Warning: the worry of brexit can go up as well as down....) :)

or can you find Russia's gas pipeline and tap into it while they're not looking?

More info about solar wood kiln can be seen - Design and Operation of a Solar-Heated Dry Kiln - http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030.html and here is very simple solar with solar energy - http://www.highweald.org/downloads/...ar-kiln-construction-guide-may-2015/file.html.

As I understand solar wood kiln works in a way that during the day it heats up and with fans is achieved hot air circulation. During the nigth it gets coller and no air circulation is needed. No sun - no hot air, no air circulation is needed. Still, when the weather is too wet then some air circulation is advised to improve drying time.

So only power consumption is fans that must be run mostly only when there is a sun. I have found around 3 options for fans - 12V and 80W (need 4-5 of them), 24V and 120W (need 3 of them) or 220V and around 1kW (also would need 3). Ideally would be to regulate air flow depending on inside temprature. Because if it is too hot then it is also advised not to circulate too much air. At least with thermostat I could do it as on/off.

As batteries are expensive and with such set-up would not hold long then I would like to use batteries for just one fan or other option would be wire all this to the grid. (I do not want to run this just from the grid as with 220V fans it would be around 24kWh daily and drying process could be up to 2 months. 1kWh costs around 15-17 euro cents (12-14 pence)).

Reply to Wiring solar kiln in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock