Discuss Wiring Table Lamp - US in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tsh2124

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm designing my own table lamp but having issues with the wiring. The lamp consists of an E17 socket, a two position toggle and a two prong whip (see diagram). I've mocked up the wiring as noted in the diagram but it trips the surge protector and I'm trying to understand where I've gone wrong.

Tracing my logic: The black wire from the two prong whip, which I assume to be power, attaches to the toggle switch black wire (also assuming to be power). The toggle switch red wire (assuming to be the accessory lead) then attaches to the lamp socket black wire. The lamp socket white wire then connects to both the toggle switch and whip white leads, which assume to all be the neutral wire.

When I plugged in to an outlet with the toggle switch in the "on" position, the lamp works. But when I flipped the toggle switch to the "off" position, it tripped the surge protector.

Is the connection of all three neutral wire where I've gone wrong, or do I need a three wire whip and three terminal socket as well? Its seems that all the components I'm using meet the voltage requirements seen in a typical 120V AC outlet.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Travis

Attachments

• Wiring diagram-01.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 9
Remove the neutral from the switch and connect direct to the light, in the off position you are creating a short between hot and neutral.
just wat i was going to say before i saw your post. nice to see someone else is awake at this godless hour.

Thank you for your replies!

After digging a little further into the switch itself, I'v confirmed it's a single pole double throw (SPDT). I assumed by omitting the connection of the third wire, it would act as simple on/off switch, but in trying all the possible combinations (see attached), this doesn't appear to be the case. The two combinations where the lamp works, the switch doesn't affect the operation and the lamp stays on with both switch directions.

Any understanding of why this would occur?

Thanks again,
TravisWiring diagram combos-03.jpg

Last edited:
Possible the switch is now duff if you are using the same one as you created a dead short across the contacts.

Reply to Wiring Table Lamp - US in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net