Discuss Wiring to Garage under floorboards SWA Required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

My Garage is attached to my house and currently there is a standard 3 core cable running from my consumer in there. I have just had my consumer upgraded/replaced and starting renovations on the bedroom directly next to the garage so would like to replace the cable as well. As the cable does not go outside as it is under the floorboards of the bedroom then through the wall into the garage do I require SWA?

Many Thanks in advance

All my work is checked and certified by a qualified electrician on completion.

you don't need SWA as long as no part of the cable is buried < 50mm deep in wall/s or under floors. if you want to use T/E bear in mind the size of the cpc being smaller than the live conductors.

Many Thanks for your response, unfortunately I do not know what you mean by CPC being smaller than the live conductors :-(

If it is any use I am powering LED Striplights, Freezer & Tumble dryer

Many Thanks for your response, unfortunately I do not know what you mean by CPC being smaller than the live conductors :-(

If it is any use I am powering LED Striplights, Freezer & Tumble dryer
It means the CPC (circuit protective conductor) could be smaller than the live conductors dependent on the type of cable you use. This may not be suitable in certain circumstances, so follow the advice given so far and get a qualified electrician in. He/she will be responsible for the design of the circuit if certifying it. I personally wouldn't certify something I have had no input in regarding the design, installation method and materials used.

If your 'electrician' is signing it off then I would suggest you speak to him/her to agree a circuit design suitable for your requirements.

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies, I was just seeking clarification/opinion as from what I read online I did not need SWA. Here is the email to him and the reply hence posting on here for others opinions.

My Question
"Hi Mark,
I will be shortly running some cabling into the garage (if you remember it is attached to the house so just going through the wall) I know you left a space on the consumer but I would like to know what cable to get please? I would like to go as large as possible to future proof things."

His Reply
"Good evening, You could run 6mm 3core SWA, that would allow up to 32A or 10mm 3core SWA up to 50A."

'His' reply seems fair enough, unless the cable was covered by that itchy stuff (Tel recitation).

Edit; arrgh I see, the question is to swa or not swa.:)

Reply to Wiring to Garage under floorboards SWA Required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock