Discuss Wiring to spur for Fire Alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am sorting out some of the electrical defects for the landlord of my local pub, and would welcome advice on a solution.

One of the more minor issues for which improvement was recommended regards the spur which supplies the fire alarm - presently it is wired in twin and earth and obviously this would be better done in FP200 - the only issue I've got is that only a metre of cable is required between the spur and the DB, and all of the wholesalers I have tried will only supply in 100m reels.

Aside from the metre of cable I need, I am unlikely to ever use FP200 again in the foreseeable future, so it would mean taking a massive hit on the job, nor can I justify passing on the cost a full reel (approx. £60 - £70) to my customer. I have asked the wholesalers if there is any alternative cable they can cut to order and the short answer is no.

Once solution I have pondered is as follows - the fire alarm panel itself is mounted at the side of the DB, so it would be possible to relocate the spur above the board and to the side of the FA and bush it side and bottom, meaning all the cable is in effect, contained. Is it acceptable to wire a fire alarm this way, or does it have to be wired in fire-proof cable regardless of the installation method?

Obviously, being a Code C3 on the report I could just leave it, but it would be a reasonably quick job to resolve and I would like to rectify as much as I can especially as my client has accepted he finally he has no choice to spend some money on improvements, seeing as he wants to sell so he can retire to his boat on the Med!

Thanks

If you go into CEF I can guarantee they will sell you FP200 by the meter, as for your other points, well I won't reply, I will let others do so as I am in a helpful not sarcastic mood today.

if you can't obtain a meter or so locally, i'll gladly post you a couple of meters for the cost of the postage.

MDJ - my local CEF wouldn't do me a metre of FP200, I like to think I have a pretty good relationship with them as well as an account holder of 5+ years now.

telectrix - many thanks, I will try and get hold of some tomorrow but failing that I will bear your offer in mind and let you know tomorrow!

Of course if anyone can elaborate on my solution it would save a lot of hassle!

Thanks

Hi,

Agreed Tel, I did an upgrade to a system following those guidelines not so long ago. I was doing a rewire for a family member and noticed the FA Panel was wired in T&E so upgraded with FP200 and Key switched neon spur ( forget the number of it, but it's been mentioned on here before )

Regards.

i know what you are saying and i suppose if it save a life its worth it but where will it stop , what if the fire starts in the db will they make us wire every circuit in FP200 eventually
Lets not get to carried away....these circuits are marked as essential supplies, ie fire, VA/PA and em lighting, if powered from central invertor. and are basically the last circuits to go in a building fire.

To prolong the supply to the panel, for the maximum time possible, in a fire condition.
Yes it will pro long the life of the cable in fire conditions whilst the plastic dB and plastic fire alarm panel are melting and falling off the wall lol. Joking aside you do req a dp red key switch and FP see if when your a the wholesalers you can't tap up anyone to cut you off a length out of there van ? Worth a try?

Can I just say chaps, many thanks for all the replies, I really enjoy reading and learning from others in the trade and it's nice that so much information and insight has been volunteered in such a friendly manner.

Just to clarify, the spur for the fire alarm is just a standard 13-amp DP switched fused spur connection unit, I will obtain an appropriate unit when I hit the wholesalers tomorrow.

Once again - thanks!

Reply to Wiring to spur for Fire Alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net