Discuss Wiring two way switch in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

Unregistered

Hello electrically minded forummers! I foolishly today decided to replace an old plastic two way light switch downstairs with a metal flush fitting two way plate and I'm buggered. The two way switch at the bottom of the stairs controls via the left switch the downstairs light and via the right switch the upstairs landing light. The upstairs landing light is also serviced by a single switch upstairs on the landing. What I can't understand is how to wire it correctly to get it working like before.

The back of the new two way switch I have is labelled as such:

SWITCHLAYOUT.jpg

The wires I have coming out of the wall are as follows:

Left hand side: Red Blue Yellow

Right hand side: Black Red

Any ideas chaps?

The 2 core cable (red and black) will be for the downstairs light, so you need to connect 1 wire into common (usually the feed) and the other into L1 (usually the switch wire). and for the 2 way for the landing light, connect the red of the 3 core cable inot the commen and the blue and yellow, in L1 or L2 one in each, eg commen red, L1 blue L2 yellow.

Any more questions fire away

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, know what your saying, but that's assuming the upstairs light switch is wired correctly.

Basically, check what colour is in the common upstairs. whatever it is, put the same colour in the common in the switch downstairs, for the two colours that are left, put one in L1 and one in L2. The blue and yellow should have red sleeving/tape on them at both ends

Foe the red and black for the downstairs light, common and L1, like Mark said

job done.

Also in case you werent aware, there should be an earth cable in the switch box, this should be connected to the earth point on the light switch. an earth bond should also be put between this point and the earth point on the switch box (assuming its a metal pattress). This is not strictly required if you have at least one fixed lug in the pattress, but most sparks would do it anyway.

Reply to Wiring two way switch in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net