Discuss wiring up a meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
I did a board change today and upon powering it up the display on the key meter is broken. the LCD backlight comes on, but the screen is blank. any ideas? also i completely forgot which way the tails go, so i just put them back in as i would do for a normal meter (never really had much to do with a key meter before) as they were no markings on the meter. I put them in L N N L, i did a polarity check at the top of the MS so i assume it's ok...?

get client to phone supplier. tell ' em it's just broke. as long as you,ve got the in to the left and the out to the right with correct polarity ( L.N.N.L. should be correct).

so all meters are wired up like L N N L? a bit worried incase i've somehow by passed the meter and get fined for scamming free electric from the grid!

- - - Updated - - -

DNO key meter

There should be a wiring/connection diagram on the inside of the cover that you remove to access the terminals.

At the risk of starting a debate/arguement i'm confused as to why tails where disconnected from the DNO meter in the first place.

Maybe it's just the fact i do things differently (and possibly wrong) but i never touch the DNO meter's at all when doing a board change......i usualy dump my new tails into Henley blocks and tag the old tails into the same blocks after the meter.

Only meter's i've ever connected into are customers own meter's (usualy card/coin meters) and they've all been L,N,N,L....supply on left,outgoing on right.

If its a smart meter you may have just dropped yourself in it, as they log all events and although we all know what you have done here is commit a crime by tampering with meter / connections etc i cant fathom why you would remove all the tails and not just the out-going as this would only leave you with 2 options in which one would be incorrect polarity and a voltage tester would have simply avoided that. (after thought unless you were uprating the size)

Modern smart meters now can log a power loss to time and date and if this dosn't correspond to a power failure in the area they may be asking the occupier to explain why there has been an interuption to the meter..... at the thought of legal proceedings i think many tenents or home owners will gladly offer up the info of who was responsible..... Not that i ever accessed a meter ;) but i wouldn't even contemplate it now as you are linked now by time and dates where as before they couldn't really prove when the interference was caused.

Last edited:
Try inserting the customers key and see if you get a display.

Why did you remove the terminal cover? It’s the only mistake you’ve made.

I’ve done it years back to get rid of about ½ dozen VIR’s crammed in the meter out going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the meter failed due to the cover being removed, or loss of power as anti fraud protection?
A nice thought but legally i dont think they can have a system in that would stop the meter working as they need a court order to disconnect a supply and having a meter to pre-programmed shutdown could be a health and safety issue.

You need to ensure incoming supply is on the left of the meter and load to CU on right if tails wrong way readings will decrease and the supplier won't be happy

You need to ensure incoming supply is on the left of the meter and load to CU on right if tails wrong way readings will decrease and the supplier won't be happy

just going to swap mine over. back in a tick.

Mine is already done, if the DNO ask ill say wife has started a few DIY jobs around the house :hurray:, get out of jail free card !!!
But seriously why u need to take all the tails out for a board change, surely the 2 going to the load would have been sufficient...first time changing the board?
Anything before that fuse (including fuse) is not your problem but the DNO's

On the bottom right corner of the key meter there will be a grey button and blue button. One of them will take you through all of the rates etc.

Try pressing these and see if the display comes back.

I have a meter that is playing silly buggers and on some occasions when needing to insert the key the display goes bonkers but I have found that pressing the buttons eventually brings the display back.

I presume you have uprated the main tails from service head to meter and meter to CU due to being undersized? If I ever need to do this then I ALWAYS do one at a time, I just find it easier and saves situations like this. On some jobs I take photos on my phone as a reference to go back to.

well just to finish off this thread...

i went back today to put a 10mm into the board for a new shower that had finally been installed, the customer said the meter guy just turned up next day , complained that another spark had pulled the fuse and meggered the meter, and fitted a new one sealed it up and left. from what the customer told me, it happens alot with the key meters?
so i'm not being prosecuted by the DNO. good news lol

Reply to wiring up a meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock