Discuss Wiring up a mobile catering van. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

baldsparkies

Any of you guys have experience or comments regarding this one ?

I am helping a friend wiring their trailer from scratch.

Fitting a 4 way IP 55 board with 30ma RCD and a 16A roundpin single phase female for there hook up supply.

I plan on wiring the sockets in 2.5 3 core arctic blue flex as radials and protected by B type 16A mcb's

And lighting in 1mm flex on a 6A

Apart from the obvious ie, max demands and bonding requirements have I missed anything, and is the cable I intend to use ok.
I think the answer is yes but it never hurts to check,
Oh yes, bit late but HAPPY NEW YEAR.:angel_smile:

Why wire in flex? Will you be wiring from underneath? (ie. outside?). And surely you wouldn't expect them to plug in a potentially live male commando plug into a female socket?

Any of you guys have experience or comments regarding this one ?

I am helping a friend wiring their trailer from scratch.

Fitting a 4 way IP 55 board with 30ma RCD and a 16A roundpin single phase female for there hook up supply.

I plan on wiring the sockets in 2.5 3 core arctic blue flex as radials and protected by B type 16A mcb's

And lighting in 1mm flex on a 6A

Apart from the obvious ie, max demands and bonding requirements have I missed anything, and is the cable I intend to use ok.
I think the answer is yes but it never hurts to check,
Oh yes, bit late but HAPPY NEW YEAR.:angel_smile:
flex is the cable of choice for vehicles and anything vibrating...

Why wire in flex? Will you be wiring from underneath? (ie. outside?). And surely you wouldn't expect them to plug in a potentially live male commando plug into a female socket?

Exactly the opposite regarding the male commando. Think about it !!

Flex for caravans and trailers due to vibration ect.

And its a mobile unit so hookup could be any 16A supply where ever they are.

Be nice guys, (Give him enough rope to hang himself) That's not a tradesman talking, but we know the type, there's always one. lol.

Be nice guys, (Give him enough rope to hang himself) That's not a tradesman talking, but we know the type, there's always one. lol.
already mentioned at #6

You've not mentioned an earth bond to chassis, you will need to do that

Quote" original post
Apart from the obvious ie, max demands and bonding requirements have I missed anything, and is the cable I intend to use ok. Unquote"

But your comment is appreciated itselectric and a valid and useful one. Of course bonding of extraneous conductive parts, including the chassis will be completed.

Looks like my choice of cable is ok. As Glennspark as pointed out ref 6
Thanks mate.

Quote" original post
Apart from the obvious ie, max demands and bonding requirements have I missed anything, and is the cable I intend to use ok. Unquote"

But your comment is appreciated itselectric and a valid and useful one. Of course bonding of extraneous conductive parts, including the chassis will be completed.

Thanks mate.

Plug and socket arrangement?

Quote" original post

Thanks mate.

your welcome Bald.:wink:

OK Baldy, I've decided to play nice :D

Working on mobile units can be a bit of a minefield if you're not exactly sure what you're doing. I must say that I am no 'expert' but I have worked on them before. You sound like you are planning on finding hardwired supplies from wherever you take the trailer, if this is the case then there are a few things you need to take account of, the first one being.... The fixed supply plug on your trailer needs to be male, to be able to accept a female socket on to it.

Secondly, you need to be able to make sure that the trailer is never used as part of a TN-C-S system unless directly under your supervision. This can realisticly be achieved in one of two ways; 1. relying on a rod and an RCD whenever you're plugged into a permanent supply (making your trailer a TT system), or 2. relying on electrical separation as your protective measure for if you're plugged into a generator. This method is by far the safest method of protection and I would choose this over ADS any day of the week!

The way to set this up is ultimately to wire as you normally would any installation with an RCD as your main switch, preferrably a 10mA, and making sure that all exposed conductive parts within the trailer are supplementary bonded to themselves and to the chassis (remember that this is not an extraneous conductive part). The other thing worth noting is that you will not have an earthing conductor to your fixed supply plug as you will either be relying on an earth rod or on no earth reference at all. At no point will you want to be picking up an earth from the supply unless you can be absolutely sure that every single supply you tap into is TN-S.

If wiring into a permanent supply you'll obviously have to bang a rod in (wired from your main earthing terminal) every time you park up and do business. This will have to be tested on every occasion you do so and you will go through a few rods! lol. If plugging into a genny then you will be relying on electrical separation and therefore you want nothing earthed (no rod!), only bonded to each other, which is effectively what your cpcs now become in each circuit. Bear in mind that your RCD is now useless when relying on a generator with no tapped earth. An ideal wiring system would be stranded cable to BS 7211 (I think) wired within plastic flexible conduit throughout the trailer. This is so you can get a 2.5mm cpc to every accessory to keep your ohmic readings between accessories negligable.

With regards to your supply, you really do want to be accurate about your demand. If you have a socket circuit which will only pull 2.5A then put it on a 3A MCB, if your lights will only pull 0.5A put them on a 1A MCB. The last thing you want is an installation on an unprotected 16A supply but with the potential to pull 38A (16A + 16A + 6A) if other stuff unrelated to you is plugged in.

I fear I am now rambling, my excuse is that I've had a few beers so feel free to shoot me down if I've left something out that I should have put in or put something in that I should have left out.

Ah completely missed "mobile"!

Reply to Wiring up a mobile catering van. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net