Discuss wiring up a small single 35watts light from the light switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

is there an acceptable safe way to add and wire in a small 35wat light from an existing light switch.

I was thinking to put the light in series but however if I do that, wont that light be taking all the amps that are passing through the light switch. at the moment that switch only powers one light so i dont think it would be that much.

I can not access the loop or make one becuase all i can access is the live and switched live at the light switch.

Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

thanks

Regards#
DD368

You won't be able to do it that way. You'll need to get a neutral from the light. You could however get an additional light added, or get a switch with a neon indicator. Depends why you're trying to do this - there's probably a better alternative.

You won't be able to do it that way. You'll need to get a neutral from the light. You could however get an additional light added, or get a switch with a neon indicator. Depends why you're trying to do this - there's probably a better alternative.

This poster has in the past said they've done CU changes so this should be a walk in the park!

No. Not possible. You need a neutral.

And don't even think of using the earth as a neutral.

LOL, that was exactly what I would have said hehe, I have seen it done, changing the subject slightly, I have lost count of the amount of flex's I have seen on central heating systems where the earth has been used as a live or neutral rather than use a 4 core.

Guys,

let me explain my question again because none of you seem to have understood what i asked.

I can get to the light switch with a length of twin and earth which will lead to the new light. I want to know if it is acceptable to wire it up in SERIES. However because it's in SERIES I am concerned about loading across the light and if i am compromising regulations.

Neutral is basically a return path for electrcicity which i am in effect creating by putting the light in SERIES. So...any suggestions are welcome.

Here's a diagram for those of you who don't know what is meant by Series.

Many thanks again for all your useful contributions. :)

DD368

Attachments

• IMG_20121009_225045.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 100
I think we all "got" what you were trying to do.

Neither lamp will have 230V across it. The supply voltage will get divided between them, in a ratio depending on their relative resistances at the resultant current. The only situation where this might stand a chance of working would be if both lamps were identical 110V items.

Reply to wiring up a small single 35watts light from the light switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net