Discuss Wiring Up Outdoor Light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

maybe I'm not reading this right, but it does just sound like you have a spare switch that you want to wire to a new light. Is this correct?

Sorry. Yes correct.

Sorry to sound a bit negative ( Don't say anything Tel...) but you seem to be doing quite a bit of electrical work at your house. Are you sure you are up to it? Are you testing the changes to the circuits afterwards?

Lighting circuits should be easy to look up on Google.

New project. Yes testing everything afterwards. Just wondering the best way to do things.

Hope you are not using the 'bang' test.

Have you not Googled "light wiring diagram" ?

first find out if there is a neutral at the switch. then the black wire goes to the blue and the red wire goes to the brown, and if you can be bothered, wrap that pesky green/yellow round a screw.

SpoonTrusted Advisor
New
Hope you are not using the 'bang' test.

Have you not Googled "light wiring diagram" ?

i've got a heavy wiring diagram i can send him.

Haha the bang test hasn't ever happened yet. Sounds fun though, but I wouldn't like to try.

Got a few diagrams and done lots of lights before, just want it to be neat from the switch.

The switch im connecting it to is the one in my first post pictured.

Thanks

It's good advice Tel...... At least try and research the project first before asking.

haha send him that then..... :)

Edit: Ok OP. sounds like you have.

I'm assuming the two way part was added at a later date, as there is sleeving on the switch wire but none on the strappers.
Doesn't look as if there is a neutral at the switch.
So you need to run line and neutral from an existing light, either to the switch then switched live and neutral to the new light, or to the new light then run a line and switched live to the switch.
You could even run a single sheathed wire from the light that the switch controls to the switch, then link the line between the two switches, then take some T&E from the switch to the new light.

Last edited by a moderator:
so.no neutral at switch, so you need to feed a neutral from the existing light to the outside light and a switched live from the spare switch.easiest way is to runn a new T/E from the light permanent L and N to the switch box , L into switch2 and out to light, and N in a terminal block/wago to the light. earths taken as read.

The switch im connecting it to is the one in my first post pictured.

I cant see it mate, sorry. Rubbish work comp. Get "The proxy server isn’t responding"

Cheers. Yes i added the 2 way last night and will sleeve today.

Another option would be to replace the existing T&E used for the line and switch live with 3core &E.
You could use one core for line, another for neutral and the last for switch live.

Reply to Wiring Up Outdoor Light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock