Discuss Wiring Wifi light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm seeing 1 gang wifi light switches with L1 L2 L3 and the images below suggest that the L2 and L3 just run separate lights nothing to do with 2-way, can anyone confirm this having no experience with such lighting.

Wiring Wifi light switch CYVuNVW - EletriciansForums.net

Wiring Wifi light switch {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Wiring Wifi light switch {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Your assumption is correct, they are not for 2 way switching.
It is for different lights switched separately

Not only is it not suitable for 2-way, it also needs a neutral at the light switch, which you probably do not have!

so if you have two of these, normally there will be some way to pair them, Set one as master and one as slave?

and there wont be a lead connecting the two sockets.

so if you have two of these, normally there will be some way to pair them, Set one as master and one as slave?

and there wont be a lead connecting the two sockets.
No no. These do not have that functionality!!

Also,these are switches, where do sockets get involved in this?

Not usually, at all. Most of these so called smart switches are made for one way switching where the supply, and it’s neutral, and the switched lives all come to the switch box.
They are made for a much wider market than the uk. Mostly not suitable in the uk as replacement switches because we don’t do things the same way here.
The particular problem is for the traditional switch at the bottom of the stairs. This is even harder because (usually) the downstairs switch has live conductors from two different lighting circuits.
There are products out there that can provide master slave functionality, but you have to carefully weigh up Exactly the wiring regime before placing your order on Amazon, or wherever.

Good and cheap. That’s a tricky combination!

Now, an apology from me. As an old dyed in the wool electrician we get an idea from a while ago and that’s how the world is. But the World moves on, and I’ve done some research And found that certain switches like yours can be configured to provide 2-way functionality. It can do this using something called the Internet (it’s a new thing, apparently).
There’s a great explaining video (below). That shows how to set it up. Not sure if your switches can do this, but worth a try? You’ll still need live and neutral though. Every day is a school day. Secondary, not public for me, by the way. Good luck. Let me know how you get on.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2pcYp2pPWA

varilite do master and slave dimmers that will give 2 way or 3 way switching.

Good and cheap. That’s a tricky combination!

Now, an apology from me. As an old dyed in the wool electrician we get an idea from a while ago and that’s how the world is. But the World moves on, and I’ve done some research And found that certain switches like yours can be configured to provide 2-way functionality. It can do this using something called the Internet (it’s a new thing, apparently).
There’s a great explaining video (below). That shows how to set it up. Not sure if your switches can do this, but worth a try? You’ll still need live and neutral though. Every day is a school day. Secondary, not public for me, by the way. Good luck. Let me know how you get on.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2pcYp2pPWA

That is just the info I was looking for thanks, so be great to just get some cheap Chinese ones to play with and hook up like he did in the video.

Reply to Wiring Wifi light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock