USA Wiring

Discuss Wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dadda74

DIY
Reaction score
Hello every one! I hope you all are having a good day!! I am not a licensed electrician by no means. I can change light switches, breakers, outlets, and change light fixtures, n I know how to use a multimeter. My question is I have a 220v air compressor in my lil building and I am wanting to run wire from my house to it.My breaker box inside the house says it is a 200amp coming in. All my breakers are full except the one 240 breaker. I was wanting to put a small breaker in the shed but don't know if I am 100 percent certain on how too . With which wire to get. I know I can run aluminum wire like 2 or 4 gauge n run it thru a plastic pipe 24 inches deep. I know I can run a 100 amp breaker alao from the house to the breaker in the shed. My question is. What breaker box do I need to get? I would like to have a couple 110 volt outlets n just 1 240v plug. Also if I decied to just run a 240 outlet just for right now. Could I just run wire from my breaker in the house under ground to the air compressor using plastic piping for just right now? Would I have to get outside wire also since it is running under ground also. Thank God Bless!!

Hello every one! I hope you all are having a good day!! I am not a licensed electrician by no means. I can change light switches, breakers, outlets, and change light fixtures, n I know how to use a multimeter. My question is I have a 220v air compressor in my lil building and I am wanting to run wire from my house to it.My breaker box inside the house says it is a 200amp coming in. All my breakers are full except the one 240 breaker. I was wanting to put a small breaker in the shed but don't know if I am 100 percent certain on how too . With which wire to get. I know I can run aluminum wire like 2 or 4 gauge n run it thru a plastic pipe 24 inches deep. I know I can run a 100 amp breaker alao from the house to the breaker in the shed. My question is. What breaker box do I need to get? I would like to have a couple 110 volt outlets n just 1 240v plug. Also if I decied to just run a 240 outlet just for right now. Could I just run wire from my breaker in the house under ground to the air compressor using plastic piping for just right now? Would I have to get outside wire also since it is running under ground also. Thank God Bless!!

If you want outlets & such in your shed, you may as well run wiring for a 100A panel. If you decide to just run the wire for the compressor, make sure you have disconnecting means in the shed. A plug on the compressor will suffice; no direct wire. Be sure that if you run it in pipe to derate if using a multiconductor cable (as opposed to individual THHN).

Things to remember if you run a subpanel: If it is part of the same stucture (attached), you CAN use a main lug panel (MLO); small price difference. Unless you plan on having 6 or more breakers in it. If this shed is detached from your main house, you'll need a panel with a main breaker. And you'll need to run a separate ground rod, to be connected with #8 (copper) to the ground bar, in subpanel. YES, even though you're running a ground wire with your conductors. Your neutrals & grounds need to be separated in the subpanel, with a separate ground bar (typically not included). Do not bond the neutral to panel back, (you know, the long green screw that comes with it? Don't use it).

Good luck.

What you need to do is install a sub fed panel, install a 40 amp breaker in your main panel, go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy a 8 circuit main lug only panel and purchase a ground bar to install in the subfed panel with the breakers you will need. Also buy # 8/3 romex with a ground. It is approved for direct burial with no pipe. I read your profile and it doesn’t say your experience. My advice to you is hire an electrician because this job is not for a DIY

Reply to Wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock