Discuss With new laws/Regulations coming into affect for The rental market!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi new to the forum this may have been asked already not too sure would just like to get some opinions on the following, with new rental laws coming into to play from 1st of July this year, (2020) stating that a property needs to be up to current 18th edition standards. Now this I understand is near on impossible in certain situations, but my main question to you is all combustible consumer Units that either have RCDs in place RCBOs, what are people going to be marking on there certs I previously before this new law comes into play have been putting it down as a C3 are people just going to change now and put it as C1 or C2 ??

Can you post a link to this new law?
It would be unusual for a law to point at a version of a British standard that could become out of date at any time, I.e when 19th edition is released.
[automerge]1591167174[/automerge]
Also, marking of defects and codes c3 etc. Will not change.
Electricity has not changed, the risks have not changed and the wiring regs have not changed.

Last edited:
I’m not aware all domestic installs need to be to 18th standards mate, that would be ridiculous as @James says it’s at risk of being out of date soon.....rental properties will require an EICR which ultimately will be satisfactory or unsatisfactory, but because some ones consumer unit doesn’t have surge protection or affd for example doesn’t mean it’s unsatisfactory, regs aren’t retrospective....

With new rental laws coming into to play from 1st of July this year, (2020) stating that a property needs to be up to current 18th edition standards.

Which law? Please do reference the specific piece of legislation.

There is a new rule requiring EICRs to be carried out, but no law requiring the remedial work to be carried out.

This has been done to death on here already for those that are not up to speed the statutory instrument can be found at

In the document it clearly states

“electrical safety standards” means the standards for electrical installations in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2018

So it looks like compliance with the 18th edition in mandated

Agree, thats how i read it as the standards are defined in the definitions. (18th Edition)

Not a bad thing but going to be a shock to some landlords who may need a substantial re-wire with a sitting tenant.

It seems incorrectly worded to specify a specific edition, and not the more general "current edition" language I would imagine being used.

Will be interesting to see how it is interpreted when it comes out. I suspect the intention was to ensure properties have an EICR without C1/C2, which is not the same as full compliance with 18th edition (e.g. replacing red/black wires for no other reason)!
[automerge]1591180063[/automerge]
“electrical safety standards” means the standards for electrical installations in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2018(5);

3.—(1) A private landlord(7) who grants or intends to grant a specified tenancy must—
(a)ensure that the electrical safety standards are met during any period when the residential premises(8) are occupied under a specified tenancy;

but my main question to you is all combustible consumer Units that either have RCDs in place RCBOs, what are people going to be marking on their certs?
Hi - my take is they’ve made it compulsory to have an inspection and 18th edition is the standard. Fine. But there’s no regulation (that I’m aware of) in BS7671 stating that an existing plastic CU is unsafe or must be changed out. So I plan to continue to with my site by site assessment of the suitability of an existing plastic CU for continued service.

As Wilko says, the requirements are to test using the 18th as the standard to which to inspect. No change to normal.

The installation does not have to comply with every current regulation.

I agree the legislation is badly worded, but nothing out of the ordinary there.

The position to adopt with plastic CU's is defined in the BP guide. I'm sure there are millions in use that haven't caught fire...yet :tearsofjoy:

The position to adopt with plastic CU's is defined in the BP guide. I'm sure there are millions in use that haven't caught fire...yet :tearsofjoy:

The highest risk plastic CU's are those installed in the LFB area they generally spontaneously combust more readily than anywhere else in the country and the fire stats back this up

This has been done to death on here already for those that are not up to speed the statutory instrument can be found at

In the document it clearly states

“electrical safety standards” means the standards for electrical installations in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2018

So it looks like compliance with the 18th edition in mandated

Sorry, its the first mention of the requirement to meet the 18th edition that I have seen 9n here.

I think they have messed up with that bit of legislation as it appears to require that the electrical installation in a rented property must comply with the 18th edition.

The problem that immediately springs to mind is that items which do not comply with the 18th edition don't always have any effect on safety and would be a waste of time and money to change. The biggest one I can think of is the fact that red and black conductors do not comply with the 18th edition. They dont get mentioned on an EICR as an EICR isn't assessing absolute compliance with the 18th edition, but that bit of legislation appears to require absolute compliance.

Hello All,

I am not trying to irritate Members by posting on this [as I am not an Electrician] and I was only looking at this thread because I thought that the New Regulations would affect one of my relatives who rents out a Flat.

When I read the Guide for Landlords Section 8 - This Subsection:

QUOTE:

If an inspection took place and a satisfactory report was issued before the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations came into force, but less than 5 years ago, will a landlord always need to have the property inspected again as soon as the Electrical Safety Regulations come into force?

I came across this paragraph:

QUOTE:

Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Wiring Regulations may not comply with the 18th edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.

END OF QUOTE

Doe that confirm that existing Electrical Installations in rented properties do not have to be upgraded to comply with the 18th Edition Regulations ?

Chris
[automerge]1591224256[/automerge]
Hello again,

Sorry I should have included a link to the Electrical Installations in Private Rented Properties Guide for Landlords that I quoted the paragraph from - here it is:

Chris
[automerge]1591224446[/automerge]
Hello again,

Sorry I should have included a link to the Electrical Installations in Private Rented Properties Guide for Landlords that I quoted the paragraph from - although it has been posted a couple of times in previous messages here it is:

Chris
[automerge]1591224484[/automerge]

Last edited:
Doe that confirm that existing Electrical Installations in rented properties do not have to be upgraded to comply with the 18th Edition Regulations ?
It has always been the case with EICR that strict compliance with the current IET regulations is not required, only that it is considered safe. So nobody expects that rented properties have to be upgraded to the latest regulations in entirety, only that some safety-related points (e.g. lack of RCD protection on outdoor sockets, etc) might be.

What kicked off this thread's discussion is the rather imprecise wording of the latest legislation that could be interpreted as meaning that older properties would have to be brought in strict compliance with the 18th regulations (or worse, in a few years forcing a down-grade from 19th regulations to the 18th!) even though we do not expect that is the intention of it.

hi new to the forum this may have been asked already not too sure would just like to get some opinions on the following, with new rental laws coming into to play from 1st of July this year, (2020) stating that a property needs to be up to current 18th edition standards. Now this I understand is near on impossible in certain situations, but my main question to you is all combustible consumer Units that either have RCDs in place RCBOs, what are people going to be marking on there certs I previously before this new law comes into play have been putting it down as a C3 are people just going to change now and put it as C1 or C2 ??

Having reviewed the OP trying to understand why a plastic consumer unit is referred to as a combustible consumer unit it sounds like something that after a predefined time will self destruct and burst into flames

At the time it was a pity that the legislators didn't look at the wider picture and home in on the poor training that has overtaken the industry which may also have a bearing on the failure of consumer units resulting in fires. I have never found any info on how many plastic consumer units were sold in the years before amendment 3 and what percentage actually resulted in a fire, in the year before amd3 London led the way with just over 250 fires the rest of the UK if I remember correctly had 8

Does a plastic consumer unit in a fire lined enclosure warrant any code like wise if the consumer unit is not installed within an escape route does it warrant a code, "eg: metal " was one of the most misleading things of amendment 3 and misinterpreted by so many the mantra that resulted was plastic bad metal good and a lot of people on the ground seem to want to swap a plastic consumer unit just because it "may" spontaneously burst into flames

Reply to With new laws/Regulations coming into affect for The rental market!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock