Discuss Wooden DB? Earthing arrangements? Your thoughts gentlemen please? photo`s included in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

c.p.c

Good day to you all.

Came across this the other day on a block viewing to buy a house. Obviously I could not get my tools out, only a quick visual check as the EA was guarding the house.:(

O`yep .Just to clear something up .I am more of an industrial Electrician than a domestic.I do have the 236... 2391..17th... blar blar blar...So I know what protons and electrons are.Also I have worked on new hotels on houses but pre part p days.:rolleyes:

Now why I am starting this tread is.

I could not believe that, anyone at any time built wood outer casing DB`s, but obviously as the photos show they did. I am wondering the more experience domesic elecricians on this forum have every seen one? I haven’t that for sure and that’s why I posted the photos.

The house did have power as I quickly tried some of the lights; which brings me neatly on to my next question.

Looking at the photos i have attached,could someone please explain what is going on at the DNO. It did look to me like the head has been changed sometime in the last 10-year (max). But not a single earth cable in sight not even a main incoming? Surely the supplier should have picked this up when the DNO head got swapped out. This house was occupied until 3months ago

Visually that what really got me puzzled to what the supply characteristics are .It was diffidently was not TT. Possable TNS? TNCS? Perhaps someone could shed some light on that for me or what’s has gone on?

I would have loved to been able to have taken some test measurements and removed the odd cover.The installation looked untouched (no additions). It still had all it original Bakelite sockets and light switches, I am pretty sure if i had done further investigations i would have not found a good strong earth reading anywhere within the house.:eek:

There is no doubt a complete rewire is required including the DB tails, but how would you deal with the supply details on the test sheet/signing it off?

I had to take the photo`s quickly on my phone so they are not the best quality

Like the tread says, your thoughts gentlemen please.;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Wooden DB? Earthing arrangements? Your thoughts gentlemen please? photo`s include

The DNO are not resposible for supplying a main earth.

You will probably find that your earth is being supplied from a service pipe in an unsheathed stranded conductor.

By the time you are ready for certifying the property you will have found out the earthing arrangements but looking at it I would say it's a TT so you will have to install an electrode.

Re: Wooden DB? Earthing arrangements? Your thoughts gentlemen please? photo`s include

The polished wooden fuse boards were quite common until 25 - 35 years ago when they demolished alot of old housing stock.

The supply cable to the DNO head is usually a PILC with the earth taken from the lead sheath. At the time of the original installation the gas and water supplies were in metal pipe and also provided a good earth path

Off track a wee bit but when you remove it dont destroy it Im sure your local teck college could use it to show the MCB generation what things were like in the Olden days

Sintra.
I know what you are saying and with further investigations, simple test readings would confirm exactly how your main earth is being achieved. Probably an earth bar has been hidden in the ceiling close to the entry points of the more larger and important earths cables witch also may inturn join some of your cpcs as well.I have seen this before on other old TT installations, But visually there is no main or any bonding earthling cables (insulated or un-insulated) for me anyway, this possabley dispels your theory. I did quickly look at the water and gas intake on the viewing (no bonding cables present- not even the old cross bonding inside kitchen bathroom). The house andthe kitchen has all it pipes showing, untouched stone sink type- pre war cupboards. You know the drill.

To me it didn’t have the feel of a TT supply with what was visually present.

Thank you for you interesting reply

UNG
I didn’t know that! Thank you. For now I would go with your theory is does seem very plausible. There probably is misplaced main earth connection through a main intake pipe some where after having it being converted from a TT system originally. Reading pending of course!

Mogga
If I do get the house this what I would do. It’s always nice to see your old tutors. Their eyes light up when you bring in a relic from the past or something burnt for the “carbon cabinet” as my tutor use to call it, many moons ago .lol

Last edited by a moderator:

I have just cleaned up the photo`s to give better detail;)

Its an MEM board - we found a brand new one under some floor boards!
Rewire new CU and looks like a spike is required

You will probably be able to have a TN-C-S supply (PME) .You need to contact your local provider and request this . They usually charge for this but i think that it is MUCH BETTER than sinking a rod and having a TT supply (even though it would still be compliant).
If you can have TN-C-S , i believe you should always go for it . Much Lower Earth Path etc...

Still sink the Rod till they get around to doing the PME (it can take ages) :D

interesting to see an antitamper connection between the cutout and meter. Did the house have some scallies living there.

Reply to Wooden DB? Earthing arrangements? Your thoughts gentlemen please? photo`s included in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net