Discuss Worcester Bosch Greenstar I system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Problem we got here is we thought it was a Combi and wired it in as planned. We then realised that the old tank below wasn't disconnected as the plumber said and has a 3 port mid position valve but there is no pump extremely or internally to the boiler.

The fault is no hot water available unless the ch is calling for heat.

Any help much appreciated.

I have to confess to being a little confused here, surely there must be a pump (either internal to the boiler or external) for the CH part of the system?

So are you saying it's a system boiler and has the traditional hot water cylinder in use. If that's the case I'd suspect that the solenoid on the mid position valve may be faulty. On some you can lock them in place, that may help you get over the initial problem whilst you diagnose the fault.

Sorry if I've misread this.

Sounds like it's meant to be a Y plan.

So if I read it correctly, you are only getting HW when the CH is also calling so is the valve at mid position?? if so then it could very well be as topquark has said as the valves come with the little lever pushed in at mid pos as this is how they are commisioned.

Surprised there is no pump......has the plumber forgotten it???

Other things......is the valve receiving the correct signal from the cylinder stat, is the roomstat stuck closed thereby always calling for CH??

From the looks of the user spec (certain models have modulating pumps) I suspect it has an inbuilt pump, maybe a call to their helpline tomorrow would the quickest way to resolve this as the installer docs don't appear to be online.

There is no cylinder stat either, was supplied with only a 1 channel programmer and receiver and stat, we didn't wire innthe valve cause were told it was a combi

Sorry I see now, I thought you had done the alterations and were still getting the fault.

Sounds like a right kerfuffle.....but tbh I can't see how it will work without the alterations to make it a Y plan system, particularly if the valve is plumbed in.

I know, tried contacting the plumber but no answer. Guna speak to him tomorrow to see what the crack is. If I knew the valve was plumbed in I would have done this differently lol

Have you atleast got 1 3 core cable from the boiler to the valve? If you have and you can get power to the airing cupboard (probably via the immersion supply) then it's possible to complete the system properly. The programmer would have to be in/near the airing cupboard but needs must in this situation.

Reply to Worcester Bosch Greenstar I system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net