Discuss work in kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyclark2002

i wonder if any one can help me and tell me where i stand, i got asked to do some work for a kitchen company last october i am not nic or with any other board i am trying to get nic just need money.

i was asked to go to the job on a certain date to conect spurs and cooker switches to the cables that the customers electrician had wired in. now i did this and done a couple of other bits as well, now the customer is now saying i left all the appliancese life which i know i didnt as her electrician had to connect the other end once i pulled them through a holse for him. the ladie is now wanting my insurance details to claim as she is saying everything was left live and she got a shock i have issued a dead certification to the kitchen company and i did say to the ladie you can not use the appliances as your electrician needs to connect them up.

when i went back a month later all appliances were live and i have found out her electrician issued a cert in december when november all was working now i am getting the blame

can anyone advise me at all please

First off I can see you were not part certified. So did you do any work in the kitchen that would have needed to be certified under part P ?

Connection of cookers and spurs in not notifiable, but these other bits and pieces might.

You say you left a certificate, can I ask why your testing circuits that were not connected, were not installed by you? It seems a little pointless to be honest. I know sometimes the DNO will want a "Dead" certificate to reconnect a supply, was this the case

If that electrician issued a cert in December, 2 months after you had, when did the client get the shock? between then and December I assume. Why was he certificating your work if you already did dead tests, why was you asked to work on the kitchen?

Did you "dead" cert state that the installation/circuits were isolated and disconnected from in the CU?

1- tell her nice try and get back on her bike
2- get registered, get insured and possibly get qualifications

hi thanks for getting back to me

i did put two sockets on the end of the iland but the cables for this were dead until i went back and a double socket was a washing machine again this cable was dead.

i did a dead test between the two ends as the cable went in the ground so i didnt want to get the blame for broken cable plus i always test what i have done to cover my self i did no cable running just putting spurs on.

the client said she got the shock in november twice

i got asked by the kitchen company that supplied the kitchen but she got her electrician to run all cables ect.i was under the impression that her electrician was doing all the live connections and all the live testing.her electrician had to connect the other end of cable to the isloators in a cuboard above a fridge frezzer.

on my certificat that i sent to the kitchen company it only said in the details of the installation connections of spur out lets to kitchen units no live testing 240v circuits not connected (by others)

well the kitchen company have now told me to deal with her direct and i think they are washing my hands with it now

i am applying now for nic domestic and have liabilty insurance and quallified as well just havent had the money till now to get nic

did you notify the local authority you were doing the work ? and what caused her to get a shock ?
I dont think you should have been doing the job to be honest, but as you did have you got copies of the cert you issued.

Martin

sounds to me as though she is trying it on. the kitchen co. have told her to get stuffed, so now she's going for the soft target.... YOU. tell her to go forth and multiply.

well the kitchen company have now told me to deal with her direct and i think they are washing my hands with it now

If the kitchen company paid you for the work and the customer didnt pay you direct then you were working for the kitchen company at the time. Tell her that all future communications should go through the kitchen company and not to you.

good point. as his employers at the time, any liability is down to them.

no i didnt notify the local authoritys as i didnt do all the work all i did was put some spurs in the cuboard and one end of the cable in it, she said she got a shock of the hob as the earth was not connected which i know i connected as i check before screwing the plate up and she is saying her electrician done a test on the hob and measured a significant voltage between the induction hob and earth.

sounds like a kitchen company to steer well away from , then.

her electrician had run a cable from the cuboard to the centre of the island all i did was connect the twin and earth to the spur and the flex that came with the appliancence

she was having some building work done in the garden and used there electrician to do all the works and the kitchen company got me in to wire up the appliances and i am a electrician

Right so has she been given the installation certs by the electrician who did the install?

if the earth had come off the hob, and the hob and become live, suggests to me the hob was faulty, that wouldnt excuse you if the earth had come off, how did you test the earth on the hob ? did the rcd trip ?

martin

so, just to get this clear. you fitted a FCU and appliance to a no-energised, disconnected circuit and she got a shock. obviously that must have been after the other spark energised the circuit. not your problem.

Reply to work in kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock