Discuss Work in New Zealand and Austrlia in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok i have been looking into getting work in one of the 2 places, can the uk electrcians just work out there on a visa or do we have to apply for the ewrb licence, if so how do we go around applying for the tempory permit to work? Does anyone have templates regarding forms they have compleated!! What are the rates for an electrician with a tempory permit to work and how hard is the work to find ? If abnyones has any input they would like to contribute, i would be grateful

many thanks

Have a look at the Downunder Tradies website. They explain what is required and what is required before you arrive. You can't just roll up and expect to work as an electrician, you might get a labourers job. All electricians are licenced so need to have all your uk qualifications recognised then sit regs exam plus have a practical assessment. I think you might have to do a log book under the supervision of a qualified spark when you first get a job?

You need to do a practical assessment to be able to qualify as a NZ sparks, I think they do them in the UK at certain times/places but they cost alot. I was in NZ in 2014 doing geo drilling at CChurch, not sparking. If you went over on holiday visa and a local company happened to offer you work you could apply for a temp work visa (that would tie you to that one company and you couldn't work for anyone else).

Im a UK sparky currently in Australia and been here nearly two years. To regards to working here as an Electrician it is different in every state. Victoria & Western Australia are the hardest and cannot work without a license. NSW, QLD & Darwin you can get away with being unlicensed. Unfortunately it is very time consuming to obtain a full A grade license as our UK qualifications are not recognised! To obtain a license you need to have a portfolio with references and all kinds of stuff which is listed on the application. Once it has been verified you have to take a day test consisting of a theory and practical part. When this is passed you then have just a restricted license which means you can't work unsupervised and cannot terminate cables. You have to have this for up to a year while doing a day to day log book a bit like a NVQ. Once that is completed you have to basically go back to college and do all theory work leading up to an A grade. Further exams are then needed until you are given a license! yes its very time consuming and costs around $9000.

Ok i have been looking into getting work in one of the 2 places, can the uk electrcians just work out there on a visa or do we have to apply for the ewrb licence, if so how do we go around applying for the tempory permit to work? Does anyone have templates regarding forms they have compleated!! What are the rates for an electrician with a tempory permit to work and how hard is the work to find ? If abnyones has any input they would like to contribute, i would be grateful

many thanks

:welcome2:

I'm also a UK Qualified Sparks working as a Fully licenced spark in Australia... The Logbook can take a year to complete. The only place hiring unlicensed sparkies is Sydney. Doubt any real decent establishment would hire unlicensed sparks in Qld... Due to Queenslands Laws on Building Code. I've worked all over Australia including Mines... U.K. Electricians make perfect candidates due to more industrial nature of our work which includes SWA's and Steel conduits.. If your serious about making the move do your homework... You can't just "Work" as a sparkie. The Aussies don't give a **** how much you know and anything you have done in the UK is irreverent.

I'm also a UK Qualified Sparks working as a Fully licenced spark in Australia... The Logbook can take a year to complete. The only place hiring unlicensed sparkies is Sydney. Doubt any real decent establishment would hire unlicensed sparks in Qld... Due to Queenslands Laws on Building Code. I've worked all over Australia including Mines... U.K. Electricians make perfect candidates due to more industrial nature of our work which includes SWA's and Steel conduits.. If your serious about making the move do your homework... You can't just "Work" as a sparkie. The Aussies don't give a **** how much you know and anything you have done in the UK is irreverent.

I have a lot of pals in Oz,working both temp and permanent...so i know the above is not a spelling error :clap:

Reply to Work in New Zealand and Austrlia in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net