Discuss Workers accidentally cut the wire... I'm looking for advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

alexkiran

DIY
Reaction score
Workers accidentally cut the wire with some power tool. It's a 2.5mm ring circuit wire with 20A breaker.

What is the optimal way to fix this?

Workers accidentally cut the wire... I'm looking for advice. IMG_20200304_133614 - EletriciansForums.net

Workers accidentally cut the wire... I'm looking for advice. IMG_20200304_140221 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks in advance!

Rewire and test the damaged cable, down to the "Worker's" insurance to pay for the remedial wirk and any materials.

Thanks. They told me they will restore insulation and it will be fine. As I understand by your advice it's not enough, right?

There is conductor damage, not just insulation. I would say cut below damage and join a new length (with Wagos or similar in a suitable enclosure) from under floor to socket.

Might not have to damage the plaster if it can be slid up the capping.

Thanks. They told me they will restore insulation and it will be fine. As I understand by your advice it's not enough, right?
it definitely is not enough. the cable needs cutting and jointing safely using maintenance free connections and enclosure/s. the circuit will then need to be tested and a certificate issued. not a job for some builder who "thinks" he can fix it. also, your regulations are different to ours. i think only registered electricians can do this work, but will stand corrected if an Irish member says different. if the's a bit of slack in the cable from under floor, it's not a big job. get builder/whoever to open their wallet and pay for a proper repair.

Some would overtape the damage, me I would replace damaged leg, looks like the phase(live) conductor has some material missing, as does the cpc (earth) conductor, a possibility of some overheating should the cable be subjected to a heavy electrical load.
Where the cable exits the wall and enters the floor, is it a solid floor? ie tiles or concrete. So yes restoring the insulation is insufficient in my professional opinion.

The conductor is damaged, that part of the cable needs to be removed.
You might be lucky and have enough slack in the cable under the floor for it to still reach the socket. If not then that cable should be replaced or if that's not possible then a maintainence free joint could be used.

agree with above^^^. ether repair as i suggested, or install a new pice to the socket. either way, a safe, reliable, comliant joint is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the black already been taped up? Could be more damage that we can’t see.
Taping it up isn’t a good idea.
Echo what’s been said before.

I reckon they've put some tape round it as a temporary fix.

The conductor is damaged, that part of the cable needs to be removed.
You might be lucky and have enough slack in the cable under the floor for it to still reach the socket. If not then that cable should be replaced or if that's not possible then a maintainence free joint could be used.

There is no enough slack, unfortunately. What kind of maintenance-free joints do electricians use in the UK?

Beware of people saying it's only a temporary repair, insist on a proper repair, seen many a temporary repair left in as permanent, and also insist on a MNEW certificate for altering an existing circuit.

if space is an issue,in line crimps or proprietry connectors like "ideal" with heat shrink ove each joint, then heat shrink over all 3. or 1 of these beautys, also with heat shrink over to reinstate the sheathing.

Reply to Workers accidentally cut the wire... I'm looking for advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock