Discuss Working abroad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Batch

Despite the recent sunny weather, I'm in search of work further afield.
I’m interested in living and working in the U.S. I’ve looked into in briefly and noticed the obvious differences.
However if I wanted to work there, what sort of re-training would be involved?
If anyone has any advice or experience in this please let me know.

Thanks

Exactly the same as if you were ''Living and Working'' there!!

If your talking about going to the States to say fit/install equipment by way of the manufacturers operative, that may well be different, but you would still have to comply with the current NEC regulations, where it applies to your equipments installation etc!!

Well you would have to go to the States to do any training. Be warned, there aren't any short 5 week courses (even for re-training as you put it), such as the UK foolishly allow. The legal requirements are that you will need to be a State Registered qualified electrician to work on any sector of the industry!!

Which is what i was getting at above, in that you'd need to live over there, to become qualified to become registered!! Which is what you stated in your OP that you didn't want to do!!

In my experience of working in the US on temp contracts, the technical and building trades are FIERCELY protected by the unions and I would have thought you'd have a hard time to find the sponsor that you'd need in order to get the visa. If you fancy working somewhere hot and sunny look middle east....so much construction going on still in the UAE its incredible. I did 5 jobs in Qatar last year and have been asked back twice this year already.

Reply to Working abroad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am writing to express my strong interest in joining your esteemed organization as I embark on the next phase of my career in the field of...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I’m hoping for some advice. I currently run a small limited company that provides IT services, both commercial and domestic so I...
Replies
Views
If one of your coworkers suffers a severe electric shock, your first instinct will most likely be to rush to their rescue. But first, pause and...
Replies
Views
Morning All I recently completed my first re wire and board change, (with help from the owner who is a gas fitter and plumper, who works with my...
Replies
Views
I Need Work Any help appreciated
Hi Im based in SE London/North Kent and currently work in smart metering. I recently passed my domestic electrical installer exams (18th edition...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock