Discuss Working as an electrician in Australia in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Pricey

Hi

Thinking of going to Australia in the new year on a working holiday visa for 12 months. Id probably do 2-3 months traveling then start working preferably in the trade as thats what i enjoy doing.

I met someone in Thailand who had worked in the mines and am waiting on details on his return to the U.K.

I am currently doing some research on the internet. So please try not to shoot me down, i don't expect it all to be handed to me on a plate!

However i was just wondering whether there was anyone on here that has any contacts out there in the trade, or has experience of working out there that would like to pass on any recommendations or advice?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

You'll need to have your qualifications authenticated (preferably before leaving the UK) and sit an exam before being allowed to undertake any electrical type work in Aussie... The best advice on this, would be to contact Austrailia House and get the facts straight from the horses mouth , so-to-speak!!

Have a friend over there (not in the electrical game) that reckons the big money in the mining industry is over, at least for the time being. It seems the world demand has taken a bit of a nose dive over the last 6 to 8 months or so. He reckons that many of the mines are just ticking over on skeleton staff, and some of the smaller ones, have been or are in the process of being mothballed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm here at the moment on a working holiday, been here since April. Get your trade recognition in the uk, skillshortagesolutions is who I went thought, takes about 3 months to recieve providing you have apprenticeship Certs, am2 level 2 3 or equivalents. Then you'll have to sit a regs course when your here. You won't get an a grade license without those but skill shortage will tell you what you need. You'll be extremely lucky to get a job on a mine or lng plant without permanent residency and experience in those fields. I do know a guy that got on a rio tinto mine but lied saying he was a resident but was later let go after checking. Hays recruitment and red appointments are a couple agencies worth calling.

You'll be hard pressed to get a job as a sparks on a twelve month working visa. You will need to sort out which state it is you wish to visit and get yourself accredited for that state and gain your licence to work there. The licence is only valid for that state, if you wish to travel to other states and work as a spark you will need to pass the relevant state/territory accreditation system. Each costing you a small fortune as no company will sponsor you for the period you intend to come here for. The other route is to come over here on the twelve month visa and get a job out in the rural areas and then see if the company you are working for will sponsor you for a 457 visa which normally lasts 4 years. From there you can then see what options are open to you as to whether you want to go for permanent residency after two years or you wish to return to UK. Hope this helps.
Just to help a bit more, some state licences are transferable but you still need to attend the local TAFE (college) to do a conversion course.
I:E The South Australia licence scheme can be transferred to Queensland.
Also don't forget you can fit Europe into Straya twice over and UK into Queensland 6.5 times! So travelling takes up a fair chunk of any savings you may have.
Good luck with your venture.

Last edited:
Hi all

Sorry for such a late thanks. Been a little manic since getting back from Thailand and have not had time to be on the net.

I have read all your comments and all your input is really helpful, again many thanks.

Seems a lot harder than I was led to believe from other 'travelers' I've met.

The plan for now is to start in Sydney and travel for around 2 months, budgeting around £4000 staying in hostels etc. Then planning on settling where I feel comfortable and searching for work. Nearer the end of my 12 months (if I'm still there) I plan on doing my farm work to allow me to spend another 12 months there.

Ill do a little more research now i have the time and give you an update when I have any answers.

Thanks

Dan

Reply to Working as an electrician in Australia in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock