Discuss Working at height.......... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Got a customer who wants a ev charger fitted. Only issue he is on 3rd floor, fuse box at front of house.Wants cable taken out then along under window ledges before going down to his parking space below at the rear.
Planning have approved it so long as cable painted to match stone afterwards as its grade 1 listed.
He thought I was being too risk averse by saying i would require a tower or scaffold as the cable when clipped horizontally would be 29+feet up in air. The ground below is uneven cobbles and stones.slippery, with no even surfaces. Ladder would not be stable.
Dont fancy being up a ladder that high and have to handle 25m of 6mm 3core cable aswell.
What are peoples thoughts on working at height.. he says another electrician thought it was okay to just use a ladder!.

It’s a tower or MEWP or you walk with both your ankles intact to work another day! It’s not his life he is risking.
Tell him you’ll hold the ladder whilst he carries out the install!
Customers! Tusk!

Got a customer who wants a ev charger fitted. Only issue he is on 3rd floor, fuse box at front of house.Wants cable taken out then along under window ledges before going down to his parking space below at the rear.
Planning have approved it so long as cable painted to match stone afterwards as its grade 1 listed.
He thought I was being too risk averse by saying i would require a tower or scaffold as the cable when clipped horizontally would be 29+feet up in air. The ground below is uneven cobbles and stones.slippery, with no even surfaces. Ladder would not be stable.
Dont fancy being up a ladder that high and have to handle 25m of 6mm 3core cable aswell.
What are peoples thoughts on working at height.. he says another electrician thought it was okay to just use a ladder!.
Hi Gavin, the first question I would ask would be why didn't "The other Electrician" do the job? Answer is there was no "other electrician" the customer is being a Twit and a tight A--e. Just remember if you fell off of the ladder and crippled yourself, who would support your Family? Tell matey to do one, politely of course.

I agree with everyone else. My background is in working at height, so I’ve had a lot of training and the statistics are frightening, especially when it comes to ladders.

Ladders are for light work and short durations only, and you definitely need a good and level ground surface.

We probably all know someone who’s fallen off a ladder, can be life changing injuries or worse.

Tower or MEWP.

Let’s not let customers try to compromise our safety by trying to cut costs.

Gravity is unforgiving.

Take care!

Hi Gavin - You are right to insist on suitable equipment for the job. There is no minimum height specified to think about safety. From what you’ve said, the consequences of a fall would likely be an injury and possibly a very serious one. In my view if there’s resistance to hiring a platform you’re better off out of it.

Working at height.......... 01281D96-1637-4AB7-A471-A2D194D37572 - EletriciansForums.net

Who’s going to paint the cable?
He’d be better off using bare MICC.....Just the job for a listed building. It wouldn’t need painting and re-painting in the future.
SWA Painted or not will look horrendous on a listed building.

Slightly off topic, but where is the TT earth spike going?

In the ground?

Swa on outside of high building?
What’s the derating factor if someone later comes along and clads the outside of the building in insulating panels

I concur with others here. If it can’t be done safely, then it can’t be done

I'd say it's an impossible job for 1 person to do off a ladder.
You'll never get the horizontal run straight and bear in mind it has to please Planning, who WILL be back to inspect.

You might do it with 2 people and 2 ladders, 1 to take the weight (with the roll on the ground) and 1 to fix but in any case you'll need 2 people to get 1 ladder up that'll reach 29ft +.

All terrian, self levelling Mewp would be good but for that height it would weigh 5tons, you'd need to prove the ground will hold it.
JLG 3369 LE Scissor Lift - https://www.rapidplatforms.co.uk/viewproduct/41/118/jlg_3369_le_scissor_lift

Tower scaffold is possibly the best option, but you'll need to dismantle and rebuilt (or reduce it's height) each time you move due to the ground.

And as above post somewhere, SWA won't work, the paint will peel off pretty quick.

Hi Gavin - You are right to insist on suitable equipment for the job. There is no minimum height specified to think about safety. From what you’ve said, the consequences of a fall would likely be an injury and possibly a very serious one. In my view if there’s resistance to hiring a platform you’re better off out of it.

View attachment 49449

Definitely an access platform . They are taking the rise, for want of a better word.
I think/know it will be a liability doing it from a ladder from the Health and Safety perspective, especially in a public area.

Unless you've found a way to resurrect Fred Dibnah don't use ladders. A lot of people still die from falls at height every year, don't become a statistic.

Joking apart, have you checked the incoming mains to the building, a friend lives in an old building, mains comes in to the basement then is split to feed the meters then from there the cables are run to each individual flat where you have the CSU.

Reply to Working at height.......... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock