Discuss working at height. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all.
just a rant really, survey a job at an old chapel, rewiring due to ---- poor ir, old vr & splitting power & light to a replacement rcbo sub main agreed, quote agreed & massively highlighted on bottom that scaffold tower at 5-6 meters required but not costed as foot note & acknowledged, accepted at the time. day before on site ring to confirm all to be told that they have decided we do not need a tower at that height, they have a triple ladder that will do, always has & we can use that, it will be ok as thats what everyone else has done. we have to get access to loft / attic space as well as access to 3 separate battens 3.5 meters of the deck.
Is it me or am i being overcautious?
Thoughts?

What others do is irrelevant really. If your risk assessment highlighted the need for a tower scaffold then so be it, no one has any right to challenge that especially a customer who only sees the cost.

I could understand them asking you if you can use a ladder instead but point blank telling you that you're going to use one isn't acceptable.

Agreed ^
We rewired a church last year mostly off of extension ladders and it is bloody hard work. Lots of climbing up and down as there is only so much you can carry. A lot of time wasted securing and unsecuring the ladder as well. Ended up taking a bucket with everything needed at that point which saved a lot of time. Tower would have been difficult and time consuming to erect due to all the changes in levels and fixed furniture though, the legs would be very long and wobbly with the cross bars having to be so high up. We could have completed the work in a fraction of the time if a full scaffolding had been put up from one end to the other in all positions and we could just walk along.

I use a mix of access equipment, sometimes ladders if simple job, sometimes scaffold if job more complex, sometimes scissor if heavy work and i need to move around. As i am the only one who knows what i need to do, it would be quite odd for a client to tell ME what would or would not be necessary. Its purely up to you, clients know jack about our profession

Working height of 12ft for three battens and attic entry doesn't seem too excessive for ladders. Why a 5-6m scaffold? If you're talking working at that height it's a different proposition. You know what you need so insist on it.

have you thought about going to a local circus to borrow some stillits ,lol
it would be better to use a tower then falling off a ladder with out a safety net .

Your health and safety comes first. The client isn't going to compensate you if an accident happens and they have no idea how awkward and potentially dangerous it can be to try and work off a ladder especially if you end up using both hands or over reach. Scaffold tower or MEWP is always my preference for working at height.

It’s a church. God will keep you safe.
Bo**ocks

have you seen this magic ladder? I bet it’s made of wood and has 3 very important rungs missing.

insist on your scaffold. But it should have been in your costings from the start, although customer should have read more carefully.

My advice go to the government HSE web site and follow the guide lines and if required show these to your customer

Seen things in black & white might get them to see your point of view. At the same time give you a clear understanding of what is expected from the HSE.

Even working at 4m changing lights in suspended ceilings I use a tower. The cost is not that much and the saving in time offsets that cost. The weight of a triple ladder alone (imo) is a danger in itself. I see on site guys using triple ladders to do roofs instead of scaffold looks very dangerous to me. But my WAHR RAMS would not allow ladder access in a scenario like yours. As you can see from my photo I even need a tower for that. But it is my own tower.

At the end of the day it's your own safety you are gambling with. If you want to take the risk just to save the client a few quid then that's your choice. Its up to you to assess what the risk is.
From a legal perspective, if you follow the HSE guidelines and there is an accident then at least you have covered your back .

HSE working over 5 meters on a ladder is not excepable then saffolls would have to be used .so if you fall no kings horses will put back togehter only the local AE love ,humpty dumpty

Last edited:
Personally i would go with your own risk assessment and that should be based upon location, height, access available, time that you need to be up there and personal safety.

Good Luck

Reply to working at height. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock