Discuss Working away for more money or happy to stay local? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HumbleWorker 91RT

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just a question regarding all your opinions and views on domestic installer and house bashing working locally or if your gold card do you prefer the extra money for working away?.

If you could give your reasons not just financial that would be great.

Cheers

Hi All,
Just a question regarding all your opinions and views on domestic installer and house bashing working locally or if your gold card do you prefer the extra money for working away?.

If you could give your reasons not just financial that would be great.

Cheers
IMHO you have to go where the money is, spent a lot of my time working away from home, out of the UK.

I think its all about personal circumstances and work/life balance. When we are a bit younger we probably think its good fun to work away and stay in Hotels and have a laugh with your workmates.
Depends what ties we have at home i suppose, some people don't like being away from their families for even a couple of days but others would see it as a necessary evil to earn more money.

Admittedly, what I do (normally) is an exception, but I've never not been used to working away, even before I got into touring. I can get a short notice call at 10am and be at Heathrow by 1pm, done it many times. I'm currently waiting for the events and show world to open up again, like many, but after a few odds n sods of weekend stuff over the summer months I've three weeks provisionally booked in Australia and then straight into 5 weeks of an Arena tour (UK), get home just before Christmas. Next year so far I've pencils for USA, NZ, Caribbean and Vietnam projects as well as UK wide work. It takes a LOT out on a relationship - I'm twice divorced - and when my daughter was born I took myself off the road completely. A decade later and she's able to video call me anywhere I happen to be in any timezone and I have an amazingly supportive new partner who understands the industry so I'm back to it. Travel expands the mind.

A friend of mine works for a company doing big arena concert wiring, he is much younger than me and no children. He makes incredibly good money and has seen more of the globe than most people will in a lifetime.

it’s not for everyone but for some they absolutely love it.

closest I got to working away was some set electrical work at the Birmingham Nec for 3 weeks about 10 years ago

I'm in a different field of work (EHV/HV mainly at power stations) and work away all the time. Have done for at least 15 years. I worked night shift at a factory before that. Both the wife and I prefer me working away. She has the bed to herself (and the cats and dog) all week, I get the peace and quiet of a Premmier Inn/Best Western during the week. We talk over the phone every night (she talks, I listen) and we get on well. It depends on what you and your partner (if you have one) want. During the week I'm away, weekends we enjoy each others company. I enjoy the banter with workmates during the week evenings then back to being nagged at weekends. It's not for everyone and it can cause problems with relationships but I would say in my case it's helped. And the extra money is useful too :)
I think it's helped my daughter too. Her boyfriend works away all week. Because she's grown up with me away (she's 21) she doesn't find it a problem with her relationship.

It really depends on individual circumstances. I’ve been working away for 33 years so was at this before I met the wife. I do roughly 8 weeks away then home for a few days and it works for us. Will be hitched 25 years on Sunday so it can work. I think the bottom line is that it works for some and not for others.

First and last time I worked away from home was Terminal 5 at Heathrow.
6 weeks away from wife and small child, and this was before the days of video calling. Just had to phone.

got paid travelling to go home once a fortnight, but train up Saturday morning and train back down Sunday night was hardly worth it. Other weekends were spent with a day tube ticket and exploring London.
When the tubes were running that is.... this was just after a tube bombing.

The guy I was hotel room sharing with disappeared some nights as he had hooked up with some girl.

Stressful time happened when we got home and his wife was asking what was going on....

“I know nothing....”

Reply to Working away for more money or happy to stay local? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock