Discuss working away in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

terry198920

Evening all!

Started working away a few weeks ago..If you had work which was away.. And you paid your apprentice/trainee minimum wage..what would you pay him/her to be working away? 12 hour shifts for 5 days.. Commercial jobs.. If thats any help

Evening all!

Started working away a few weeks ago..If you had work which was away.. And you paid your apprentice/trainee minimum wage..what would you pay him/her to be working away? 12 hour shifts for 5 days.. Commercial jobs.. If thats any help
A decent wage to start, I don't agree with the minimum wage either, 4 quid odd is appalling, I would recommend you pay him double time for the time away and buy all his beer, food and treat him properly.

Evening all!

A decent wage to start, I don't agree with the minimum wage either, 4 quid odd is appalling, I would recommend you pay him double time for the time away and buy all his beer, food and treat him properly.

Minimum wage as in 6:30 ( actually pays a penny less lol ) he currently gives 7:30.. Extra pound an hour..

i started on £4.28 an hour at 18 £600+ a month in my first year i think thats acceptable especially as your un skilled and learning a trade

The work we do i wouldn't say 'unskilled' left alone to do armoured,Tray work, conduit, trunking 1st fix second fix.. I get what you mean.. Only had 9 months experience but me and the other ' apprentice' are left to rewire houses ect.. It is so easy to get wound up about pay.. But just something that will come with being qualified i suppose.. Doesn't help when he told us 8:50 working away.. And when we got away.. Pay turns up at 7:30 an hour.. Just wondering what other sparks would pay a trainee working away.. Basically electricians mates we are.

Our company pays £1.50 per hour on top of standard rate, pays all accommodation and travel costs plus £35 per day tax free subsistence.

Don't forget funds to get em into a gentlemans club

I don't see why people should be paid more on their basic rate, for working away, the job is the same wherever it is.
They should be however, paid from door to door, plus mileage if they use their own vehicle, plus accommodation, plus meals, breakfast if leaving home early enough, definitely if in digs/hotel, lunch, if staying away, and evening meal.
These should be at realistic levels, and TBH, breakfast should not be capped, as it will be at the value the accommodation charges.
A small, out of pocket allowance yes, but not too much, else HMRC will be interested.
However, overtime should be paid at reasonable rates.
Travel @ x1 regardless I could live with.
Work over 8 hrs/day should be x1.5 in the week.
Sat a.m. x1.5, Sat pm x2, Sunday & BH x2, with BH plus a day in Lieu with holiday pay.
After & before certain hours, night rates should be paid, at least x1.3.
Times when away should be door to door from/to the hotel also.
The actual base rate they are paid is another debate.

NBP yes you are correct with everything in that statement. Our firm pay an extra £1.50 per hour as goodwill gesture not because they are obliged to.

I don't see why people should be paid more on their basic rate, for working away, the job is the same wherever it is.
They should be however, paid from door to door, plus mileage if they use their own vehicle, plus accommodation, plus meals, breakfast if leaving home early enough, definitely if in digs/hotel, lunch, if staying away, and evening meal.
These should be at realistic levels, and TBH, breakfast should not be capped, as it will be at the value the accommodation charges.
A small, out of pocket allowance yes, but not too much, else HMRC will be interested.
However, overtime should be paid at reasonable rates.
Travel @ x1 regardless I could live with.
Work over 8 hrs/day should be x1.5 in the week.
Sat a.m. x1.5, Sat pm x2, Sunday & BH x2, with BH plus a day in Lieu with holiday pay.
After & before certain hours, night rates should be paid, at least x1.3.
Times when away should be door to door from/to the hotel also.
The actual base rate they are paid is another debate.

People should be entitled to a little extra for working away for the following:

They miss time with their family whilst in hotel rooms

Miss out so coaling with friends

Unable to do jobs around the home so have a weekend to do all house work etc

Miss numerous occasions birthdays etc

Have to arrange extra things due to only one person being home e.g baby sitting etc.

People miss a lot working away but if the employers recognise this and provide accordingly then that's fine but please don't think it's just like a normal day but "away" as there aw lots of other factors to take into account

People should be entitled to a little extra for working away for the following:

They miss time with their family whilst in hotel rooms

Miss out so coaling with friends

Unable to do jobs around the home so have a weekend to do all house work etc

Miss numerous occasions birthdays etc

Have to arrange extra things due to only one person being home e.g baby sitting etc.

People miss a lot working away but if the employers recognise this and provide accordingly then that's fine but please don't think it's just like a normal day but "away" as there aw lots of other factors to take into account

I have missed a hell of a lot through working away. Sports days,kids birthdays, carol services etc etc the list is endless. I'm lucky as I work for an employer who appreciates what I do and what I miss. Saying that when you've worked away for as long as I have it becomes normal.

every other trade on our site does ..labourers are getting £10 an hour for knocking walls down! My boss gets 15 for home and 25 for working away lol

I have worked away a LOT also, I'm not going to get into a slanging match, but why should the same job get more money because you are away in the UK?

In business, decent employers will often provide a bonus payment for working away and the usual digs/allowance for food. You can't put a value on missing home time. In a previous life I was often away for a week at a time, only seeing my kids on Friday evening and Sat/Sun!

Not what I said, why should the working on the JOB get more money because you are away?
It's the same JOB, whether home or away.
What extra you get for being away, should be different.
The JOB is the same.

Reply to working away in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net