Discuss working close friends of family and the likes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
dont you just hate when working for close friends of family, then you bill them and then makes you fee un comfortable after all hard work..... example; pat tested 60 items, changed 5 socket fronts and added new double socket beside cu. charged the guy £151.50 , have me mother and all ringing me now... wtf..

whats your views on this

Working for close friends is a pain in the butt....working for family friends is the same and working for family is a nightmare.

They all expect 'mates rates' which often equate to next to naff all and family seem to expect it for nothing. I hate working for them but know whats expected....my normal customers (if that's the right thing to call them) always get priority which tends to cause afew arguements.

family and close friends ...............always been gratis and is affectionately known as "family rates"

Friends of a friend will get as everyone outside of the family rates, a good job reasonably priced. Just my way I guess

Never managed to come away happy doing work for friends and family even when the job cost you they still think you have over charged them. I now do not do any work for them as a rule. just say am to busy and recommend someone.

There is no right answer to this just comes down to each individuals point of view. I hate myself for charging friends and family but if the job takes a substantial amount of time i think its justifiable to charge something, for me its usually half my normal price

I always give materials at cost price to friends an family but my labour rate stays the same. That way I can still offer them a dedicate service a I know it's worth my while. If its a small job and doesn't eat into your normal working hours thn maybe give a little discount. Just make sure you are up front about it all before you do any work, if you manage there expectations well then there should be little upset.

I don't charge family and close friends anything except for materials but they get their work done as and when I can slot it in. The system has worked fine for many a year

There's a painter I know who still lives with his mother and charges her for work in their home. I was disgusted when I heard about it but the guy has always been a prat

The way i see it Trev is my mum means the world to me and i would do anything she asked me to. I was certainly no angel growing up and in all honesty was a right toe-rag but mum was always there for me so how can i charge her for the work she wants done.....quite simply i can't. However each to their own i suppose

parents, free labour, cost materials. everybody else, full price or get somebody else! was asked to do a consumer unit for a cousin, i gave him my normal price and he ummed and ahhed and then i never heard back. and he has a good job, earns far more than me, yet they still expect it for nothing..

The way I see it, I will do someone a favour if they do me a favour.
I work for mates rates for my mates who are chippys plumbers etc an then they work on my house in return.
Mates that are car salesmen, what are they gonna do? Give me a free car?
People that haven't phoned you in years and then suddenly want you to graft all day for them for nothing?? Wtf!

I'm 20 and last year done loads of work at my parent's. They got all material at cost value and I could only do it on weekends so charged them £40 a day, worked it out and it was about £3000 worth of work I did

Obviously people's family circumstances differ, but I don't see that it's much different to someone's parents giving them a fiver to mow the grass or wash the car.

Reply to working close friends of family and the likes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net