Discuss Working for B&Q in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just seeing if any of you chaps out there carry out electrical installs for B&Q kitchen/ bathrooms....?

Any pointers would be welcome.

Couple of fitters we work for have just got a local contract with them.

Looking at the paperwork I'm struggling to figure out what B&Q are actually paying. Their price list/ paperwork isn't very clear cut.

Got a feeling this could be a bit of a farce. We'll give one a try and see how things pan out, have my doubts though.

Thanks Sy

Working for B&Q {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

There will be nothing but problems with missing parts and re visits, they are famous for it.

Boydy

Years ago a mate of mine used to fit kitchens for MFI,I used to do his electrics for him,It was ok when we first started out,I think they were paying something like £25 per socket,the same for an fcu and about £150 for a cooker feed,more if the cu wasn't big enough.Anyway this was ok at first then they started saying that it was costing too much and they were reducing the point price,In the end they were offering something daft like a tenner a point for all electrics,sockets,fcu's,lights etc and something like £50 for a cooker point! At that point I suddenly became very busy elsewhere.

We do bathroom electrics for b&q, the prices are bad, the quality of the parts are worse, and the paperwork to fill out to become an installer are rediculous, they wouldnt accept my NIC AC membership certificate as proof of competence, as they are with napit, and said napit are superior to nic (first time ive heard that one) and its not considered enough to install bathroom downlighters and a pull cord switch!!!

i had to photocopy every certificate ive got and send it to them. CRB check, copies of all insurances, jib card, everything, worse than joining constructionline

they also got the hump cause i have my van written and we have company logo tshirts, and i refused to wear there bright orange numbers!

i only do there jobs cause my mate a plumber cant find another decent spark to do them for him

homebase are much much better in every aspect

I'd be wary as they will quote "electrics" without visiting site or worse allow the fitter to do it and we all know what that means.

I'd be wary as they will quote "electrics" without visiting site or worse allow the fitter to do it and we all know what that means.

Spot on Murdoch, friends of ours are having a new kitchen fitted by B&Q in March, last week the "surveyor" turns up for measuring & assessing the electrics.

The electrics assessment went along the lines of;

• count up the sockets fuse spurs & lights.
  • Flick the lights on & off.
  • Look at the meter.
  • Look at the consumer unit (from the floor not up close) count mcb' in use.
"Hmm yes the fuse board is now illegal, it is an old obsolete MK sentry unit"
"For us to bring that up to standard & work on the circuits in the kitchen we will need to add rcd's, that will be £120 per circuit for the RCD's required. 3x circuits at £360 + vat or we could change the whole fuse board for £450 + vat bringing the whole install up to legal standards."

I get asked to take a look so we visit for an evening............sockets on an RCBO, Cooker on an RCBO, only the lights require any RCD/RCBO protection. hour later & remote RCD fitted to lighting job done.

First (and only by the sounds of it) job booked for 3 weeks time, off to do my own survey of it next week.

We'll see how it compares to the the 'spec' I've been given!
I'll price it my usual way and if it doesnt stack up they'll have to use another spark.

To be fair if this wasnt for the a couple of 'sound' fitters we work with regularly I would probably have given it swerve altogether based on the comments above.

Thanks for your input.

Sy

(I'll let you know how it goes.....)

Got my kitchen from them, nightmare. Wrong drawers, they were replaced, then after almost a day of struggling, realised all of the runners were incorrect, this went on and on and on.

Then the bathroom... 1st toilet had a tiny crack underneath so that it leaked when flushing, replacement was the same, the next too!

Got it right in the end though..

Got my kitchen from them, nightmare. Wrong drawers, they were replaced, then after almost a day of struggling, realised all of the runners were incorrect, this went on and on and on.

Then the bathroom... 1st toilet had a tiny crack underneath so that it leaked when flushing, replacement was the same, the next too!

Got it right in the end though..
I had a bathroom suite from them and my toilet did the same,a tiny pin hole,cheeky sods wouldn't,t swop it as they said it should have been found before fitting!

Tell me about it, back in the late 70's I had the misfortune of breaking down in Liverpool only to come back a few hrs later to find my pride and joy on bricks ......
I'm suprised they didn't steal the bricks as well lol

Reply to Working for B&Q in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock