Discuss working for family in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Phil L

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How do you guys price for family jobs I've upgraded the board and run in 35 mtrs of 10 m2 for cooker plus 45a cooker switch and spur all chased in tidy I know what it cost in materials but what would you charge for labour

I know he had his new kitchen fitted with a brand new range cooker with double electric oven then realised there was no electric to the cooker at all,and now wants me to rectify this without making a mess of his kitchen

Charge them nothing.that way there will be no commitment,because whatever rediculous low figure you charge,it will still make you the culprit

Do the job,get it out of the way,make a vow to yourself, never to do jobs for family

We all intend to do that, but its easier said than done, however, the sentiment makes us feel better

There is no easy ride with the family

I know he had his new kitchen fitted with a brand new range cooker with double electric oven then realised there was no electric to the cooker at all,and now wants me to rectify this without making a mess of his kitchen
dont want much then....
and whats all this `want` all about...?

give him the fork...tell him where to go....i would...

Get them to get a quote from some other spark and then ask them how much he/she has quoted! Then tell them that you couldn't possibly do it as cheap so they would be better off employing the other sparks skills! Sorted!!!

Tell em ur too busy

i only do work for parents and siblings, thats it

but brothers me accountant and dads a heating engineer so its swings and roundabouts

other friends and family is a big no no, unless you like working on a sunday for free

Barter system is good.

I chop logs as well as sparking so when I needed my posh advert upgrading to include an NICEIC logo (!) the bloke that did it originally amended it for .... A very large bag of hand chopped, 2 year seasoned Ash. Everyones happy

HI,

Just done a 3 bed apartment for free, a workshop for somebody else for free, last week a kitchen sort out; and shortly a garden / greenhouse / sheds for free. My MFT needs repair and Cal and I've just paid my Insurances again for the year.
I'm recently retired, but I'm afraid I'll never be a millionaire; but that's just the way I am.

Regards.

Surely it depends a bit on your relationship with your familiy and also your financial situation. If you have a close family who help each other out and you are not on the bread line then I guess just charge costs (I couldn't imagine asking my mum for £320 for 2 days work when she spent years wiping my bum!!). If it is not a close family member or you really need the money then anything from mates rates (half price for me) to full price.

same here. close family at cost. others at mates rates ( 20% off labour). them buggers you only see at weddings and funerals, normal rates.

Barter system is good.

I chop logs as well as sparking so when I needed my posh advert upgrading to include an NICEIC logo (!) the bloke that did it originally amended it for .... A very large bag of hand chopped, 2 year seasoned Ash. Everyones happy
You must be Charles Bronson he's always chopping logs.

Reply to working for family in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net