Discuss Working for free while at college... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OllieNotts

Hi all, after a bit of advice regarding work experience. I have been offered the chance to shadow a guy and his lads on some domestic and commercial stuff.
What tools should I take if any? He didn't say much about what I would do other then working alongside his lads and learning from them. Not sure if I should turn up with a bag of tools(I don't have a proper one yet just the college crap I got conned in to buying) so should I get some?
Please don't have a go about working for free either, the guy has offered me a chance to learn and in the current climate a day a week "work experience" could get me on somewhere else or even on to agency work. Booked my CSCS card test today for 2 weeks time so hopefully might start being able to get some contacts in the trade and a bit of paid work while I learn.

Sounds good I hope it gives you a chance to prove yourself and get some paid work off the guy.

I'd ring the employer/just take tools anyway I think.

well done m8 on getting chance for some experience, ive read a few of your posts and im in the same boat as you(also looking for work) and have family. if working for peanuts or for free is good for you & family do it. certain people dont like it but they aint gotta pay your bills!

as for tools, just the basics, screwdrivers, cutters, pliers, maybe a hammer and bolster chisel.

well done m8 on getting chance for some experience, ive read a few of your posts and im in the same boat as you(also looking for work) and have family. if working for peanuts or for free is good for you & family do it. certain people dont like it but they aint gotta pay your bills!
Yeah well I am still working nights on agency but it is slow going at the minute, we are getting by....just. Thing is I am sat here twiddling my thumbs 2 days a week most weeks so figure I could be out learning something useful and with any luck this could lead in to something better pay wise at least. If the guy tries taking the pi55 that much I can always go home and he said there is no pressure to work with him if I am not happy it is totally my choice. Sounds as decent a bloke would who won't be paying me :D

good luck ollie! i started working voluntary for an electrician whilst at college to gain experience on-site and its given me great understanding and i can relate this to what im learning at college! if your willing to work people will notice and someone will give you that break! i was given a break by the guy i was with and will be starting with him in june! invest in a decent tool box as it will get chucked in and out of the van plus they take a beating on-site.
gyles

Cheers, been advised to get a bag with a shoulder strap to start with cause they are cheap and I can carry on a bus instead of a tool box if I am going to be meeting them in notts city centre(they are there for 4-5 months still). I cant wait to see it all starting to make sense and as you say it might lead to a paid position I am not shy of working hard as long as they don;t try and take the pi55 too much :D

i dont think they will take the pi55!! just remember alot of them were in your position when they started! also keep asking questions if your unsure of anything! hope you enjoy it. just remember short term loses for long term gains!! as for tools

screwdriver set vde 1000v
snips
pliers long nose
stanley knife
mini hacksaw
hammer
cable cutters
adjustable grips/wrench
tape measure

these are just some of the basics!

Hi all, after a bit of advice regarding work experience. I have been offered the chance to shadow a guy and his lads on some domestic and commercial stuff.
What tools should I take if any? He didn't say much about what I would do other then working alongside his lads and learning from them. Not sure if I should turn up with a bag of tools(I don't have a proper one yet just the college crap I got conned in to buying) so should I get some?
Please don't have a go about working for free either, the guy has offered me a chance to learn and in the current climate a day a week "work experience" could get me on somewhere else or even on to agency work. Booked my CSCS card test today for 2 weeks time so hopefully might start being able to get some contacts in the trade and a bit of paid work while I learn.

I started work for free one day a week and after a few weeks the guy was impressed that I wasn't there to just stand and watch, I was getting involved and doing actual work so he paid me £40 for going. I put that £40 aside, saved it up and bought tools with it. Now I'm working full time for the same company whilst I complete my course. Best thing I've ever done

The bigger kit looks OK. But just bear in mind most of it won’t be top-flight gear.

Rule 1. it’s your kit, not free issue for every muppet on site!

i dont think they will take the pi55!! just remember alot of them were in your position when they started!

i doubt it,most have been paid to train,never work for free it does no one any good,in fact its what employers want,how can you expect a decent wage when you have previously worked for free,its slave labour..you dont get anymore respect by working for free,you say the guy wont take the p,he already is..

site experience is almost essential when trying to get an apprenticeship

when i was looking for mine i had no site experience but all distinctions for my exams. They werent too fussed about my distinctions, all they wanted to know was how capable i was onsite.

not too sure ild want to be in your place if you have an accident and youre not insured though.

yes that guy is taking advantage of you working for free. but if it means you getting an apprenticeship or a better job with someone else because youve got site experience then itll be worth it

apprenticeships are few and far between. you have to grab any advantage you can get over the next guy

i would work the first day for free and thats it , but only you can learn from it..

when i started i couldnt get out with anyone, started meeting people in belfast for work which i had to get train as is 70 miles away and one dude took the ****, didnt even tell me how much i was getting payed wouldnt awnser my phonecalls, i worked four days for free plus paid transport, not intentionally

agree money before you start in future, but if you want to try this i say why not if its not too much hassel to get too...

if they are decent they will agree money and chat you through the job..... even if 2 mins rundown.. good luck hope works out

forgot to mention i did two weeks with two different companies for free.

there are companies out there who will string you along with the old "come do a work trial and well see how well you get on" and they have no interest in taking you on, they just want the free labour.

when i started i had the same outlook as you in that "i dont care if they dont pay me ill use them for experience" but after a few weeks youll start to resent the fact that they dont pay you even a token rate of a few quid an hour.

but in the end not getting a job at those two companies was the best thing because i ended up getting a fantastic opportunity with a national company

working for free is a very bitter pill to swallow. and there are many companies out there who will happily take advantage of that.

First day for free?? It's hard enough getting started as it is. One day a week just to come along and learn isn't going to be takin the mickey. You aren't committed either so you can just stop if you ever feel that you want to

The unfortunate thing is we’re condemning a company that could be on the up and up.

Ollie give the company a time span you’re prepared to work for gratis, after that you want paying. And make sure it’s on a rising scale as you gain experience and become more a member of the team.

The unfortunate thing is we’re condemning a company that could be on the up and up.

Ollie give the company a time span you’re prepared to work for gratis, after that you want paying. And make sure it’s on a rising scale as you gain experience and become more a member of the team.

Well said that man!

Reply to Working for free while at college... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net