Discuss working in areas without sockets. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bode2008

I am looking for an extension lead or fitting which will allow a standard UK 3 pin household socket to be connected to a bayonet light fitting.

I understand tradesman use this type of extension lead when working in lofts where there is no electrical socket.

Has anyone come across this or know where to obtain one?

Thanks.

Hi8 bode
this tyre of fitting used to be common ,havent seen one for ages ,try an old type d,i,y store or ironmongers ,i use a extention lead myself with a 500 watt halogen,what if theres no fitting in the loft ,what then?
atvbitwww

I have attached a bayonet fitting to the end of some 2.5 flex with a plug on the end and use that. 500W is great but don't really wanna see what is lurking in the loft space!:eek:

Someone suggested to me that this type of fitting may have been banned because of new safety regulations.

I need to plug electrical items into an area which cannot be reached by an extension lead without some risky drilling through walls.

Where did you get the bayonet fitting?

This will need to be plugged into the light socket and have a standard socket.

Not an expert in these matters but if anyone would like to make one I'd be happy to pay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a couple of croc clips on the pins in the lamp holder;) ,be ok if there insulated ,cheapest way out of it ,by the way is it electrical work youre doing?:)
all the very best

He wants to connect a 13a socket to the light cirrus

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a couple of croc clips on the pins in the lamp holder;) ,be ok if there insulated ,cheapest way out of it ,by the way is it electrical work youre doing?:)
all the very best

No I'm building a photographic darkroom in a room with no electricity apart from a light socket. I had considered drilling a hole through a wall but there are too many gas and water pipes so would prefer to avoid that area.

The apartment is rented so there's the hassle of permission etc.

If you can see the pipes you should be able to drill a hole without hitting them ,what size load does your photo equipment take ? will you have computers ,t.v or an electric fire up there,?
is there a fuse spur for an immersion heater,?
if so change that for a socket:D

The electrical equipment to be used are two safelights which are just simple pygmy bulb lights and the enlargers are big expensive stands with light bulbs.

A little googling has found the term "bayonet plugs"

They were around years ago but most likely banned due to safety issues. Not sure if there is a safe version.

hey just a thought ,you wont have an earth if you come off the light,and these old fittings ,are they safe ,how do you know ?
sounds like you nead to get someone in pall
all the best for now

Not sure if they've been banned but there are a couple of glaringly obvious safety issues here.
  • Earthing - as someone has already pointed out.
  • Over loading the cable / circuit - Most lighting circuits will be wired in 1.0mm cable, some 1.5mm. OK, so the fuse or MCB should only be rated at 6a or 10a respectively thus protecting the cable and should therefore trip before any real damage is done but even still, it's never good to over load a circuit.
  • Chances are, the lighting circuit will not be RCD protected.
OK, so you've said that you're only going to be powering lights from said circuit but I wouldn't advise running anything from a bayonet fitting other than a bayonet bulb.

Is this going to be a permanent setup or is it just for a one off use? If permanent then just invest in some electrical work. Please, do it properly - it'll be worth it in the long run.

Regards

It reminds me of when my mum used one of these connectors for running her iron off when plugged into light socket back in the sixties when only had a single socket in living room and wanted to watch telly.

Thinking back it's a wonder the house did not burn down using one of these things.:eek:

It reminds me of when my mum used one of these connectors for running her iron off when plugged into light socket back in the sixties when only had a single socket in living room and wanted to watch telly.

Thinking back it's a wonder the house did not burn down using one of these things.:eek:

A little off topic, but I did a rewire for a housing association a few years back. The tenant in the house was a 89 year old man who had lived there all his life.
There was only one single socket in the house and he used to drag a long lead from room to room. Our rewire included the installation of numerous sockets throughout.

When I returned some 6 months later to see to a lighting problem he was still dragging the lead from room to room. Old habbits I suppose.

Reply to working in areas without sockets. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock