Discuss Working in domestic properties in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Manutd4life

Hope this is in the right place.

I mainly work on commercial properties, new build and refurbs and I'm looking to go into the domestic side. Nothing too big just something to too my wages up, just something that I can complete over a weekend. I'm just wondering what exactly I need. I know I need Part P, I'm clear on that one even though I think it's ridiculous that I need it but that's another thread. Do I need my testing and inspection to sign off my work?
Do I need to sign up the NIC to get test sheets or can I get the elsewhere?
Once a rest sheet is done, do I give it to the customer and let building regs/local council have a copy too?

Thanks

If your doing odd small jobs you probably wont even need to get registered

i would get Pl insurance though

you can get certificates from lots of places, can you test well enough?

You want my honest opinion?

If you're fully qualified and experienced enough to be signing off your own work, balls to registration fella. Do the work, test it, certify it, move on...

Why pay some barsteward in a suit £500pa for the privilege???

If you're fully qualified and experienced enough to be signing off your own work, balls to registration fella. Do the work, test it, certify it, move on...

the only registration worth getting for most is insurance.

if the $hit hits the fan at least you wont lose your house etc

Trying to liven things up a bit, Damien? :reddevil:

If your doing odd small jobs you probably wont even need to get registered

i would get Pl insurance though

you can get certificates from lots of places, can you test well enough?

I haven't tested in a while but for now I can get my mate to do the tests if they needed. I want to get all the correct info first before I dive straight in.
Can I use the Certs that's in the back of the regs?

Thats where I'm confused, I know I can test and certify it, but do I need to send anything of to the council/building regs or is that only if you don't have part P?

The certificates etc are the exact same ones you use for your commercial jobs.

I don't do the testing for the commercial jobs mate, the company does them or by the time testing comes, I'm on a different job.

the only registration worth getting for most is insurance.

if the $hit hits the fan at least you wont lose your house etc

Insurance isn't an issue, I will get that again once I know all the ins and outs.

thanks for all the replies

One point, Part P is a building regulation, not a qualification or registration or whatever. It is a document in the same way that bs7671 is a document.

To 'have part P' means nothing more than that you have downloaded a free copy from the website.

One point, Part P is a building regulation, not a qualification or registration or whatever. It is a document in the same way that bs7671 is a document.

To 'have part P' means nothing more than that you have downloaded a free copy from the website.

Ok that has cleared up one of questions up then. So when I get part P, I do a test and just give the customer the test sheet. If I don't have Part P, then I need to get building control to inspect it as I'm installing it and then issue building control the certificate.

Part P, as has been said, is a building reg mate. If you're complying with 7671 you're complying with it.
You don't need to do a course that frankly any idiot can pass.
You may choose to register with a r£gulatoroy body although there's a growing groundswell of opinion against them. A rebellion if you will.
All the info you'll need is on their websites (NIC, Elecsa, Napit etc etc)

No, as I said above part P is just a document which is free to download, possession of it doesn't mean anything in the real world.

If you do a domestic job you produce a certificate and give it to the customer, end of story, building control won't give a monkeys.
If the job is part of a larger building project which is subject to planning permission and building regulations inspections then your best bet will be to approach the building control department and discuss what they require from you before starting.

You could join a part P scheme to register all of your jobs, but they are all scams who are slowly destroying the industry.
There is a movement slowly gathering pace to boycott the schemes and we would all appreciate it if you didn't join them.

Sorry to be a pain, I understand it is a building reg. But I'm still slightly confused, my understanding was, I need part P to be able to do work in a domestic dwelling, even my own house. This is why I want to clarify things before I start jumping in, some are saying I need Part P, you are saying I don't.

So say for instance, I install a new ring on an extension, I then test and give my cert to the client. I also do not need Part P and do not need to notify anyone. Would that also apply to a full re-wire?

I was too under the impression that notifiable work has to be submitted to local building authority for a ridiculous fee if no planning permission has already been submitted (then it would be included free), or else done by joining one of the schemes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but had to turn away work the other day due to not being registered with scheme.

Notification is the issue mate, you can use a scheme for this and pay them £500pa plus notification fees or use LABC at exorbitant cost.
That said, no one has heard of any prosecutions for non notification and it's the only way we are ever going to get rid of the leeches that are feeding off us at present.

I was too under the impression that notifiable work has to be submitted to local building authority for a ridiculous fee if no planning permission has already been submitted (then it would be included free), or else done by joining one of the schemes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but had to turn away work the other day due to not being registered with scheme.
Not all domestic work is notifiable mate, take a look at Approved Document P on the planning portal for full details of what is and isn't

That was silly, I would have taken it on and worried about building control afterwards, let the customer pay for that, it is after all their responsibility.

Hope this is in the right place.

I mainly work on commercial properties, new build and refurbs and I'm looking to go into the domestic side. Nothing too big just something to too my wages up, just something that I can complete over a weekend. I'm just wondering what exactly I need. I know I need Part P, I'm clear on that one even though I think it's ridiculous that I need it but that's another thread. Do I need my testing and inspection to sign off my work?
Do I need to sign up the NIC to get test sheets or can I get the elsewhere?
Once a rest sheet is done, do I give it to the customer and let building regs/local council have a copy too?

Thanks
eh?...

Thats is what I'm trying to understand too. If I need to notify anyone, I can't do the work as it will be more hassle than it's worth for me, but my understanding by what is being said in this thread, is that you don't need to notify anyone

Notification is the issue mate, you can use a scheme for this and pay them £500pa plus notification fees or use LABC at exorbitant cost.
That said, no one has heard of any prosecutions for non notification and it's the only way we are ever going to get rid of the leeches that are feeding off us at present.

Let's hope they don't make an example of me lol.

Can you direct me to somewhere that does free test Certs?

Sorry to be a pain, I understand it is a building reg. But I'm still slightly confused, my understanding was, I need part P to be able to do work in a domestic dwelling, even my own house. This is why I want to clarify things before I start jumping in, some are saying I need Part P, you are saying I don't.

So say for instance, I install a new ring on an extension, I then test and give my cert to the client. I also do not need Part P and do not need to notify anyone. Would that also apply to a full re-wire?
:bigcry: please no more I can't take any more

Reply to Working in domestic properties in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net