Discuss Working in Iraq or Afghanistan. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope we all doing well.

Does any of you ever worked in countries mentioned in title? Tbh... I do think about it quite properly since last couple of months. Know for a fact you can earn right money there, working through global companies.

Anybody been there? anybody know somebody who's been? just looking for a bit more info than online job offer provides.

Have a good weekend!

I’ve been in both a few times and I wouldn’t recommend either if you have a choice in the matter. Unfortunately I didn’t.

Being ex forces I have a slightly different viewpoint of working in these places. back when the military where there in large numbers it was quite lucrative doing the circuit as it was known, I knew a few people who went out as security workers aka mercenaries paid couple hundred per day tax free. sure there are risks but one guy was earning £350 per day with minimal expenses, went out for 6 months, no wife or kids and came back flush, did a second stint until he had enough to set up his own property business, He was an ex marine and no walter mitty turnout. those days are long gone, now its more mundane and also far more dangerous as there is little back up if it hits the fan.
If you do, then take your own orange jump suit, that way you will know it will fit properly in your cnn tv appearance.

Being ex forces I have a slightly different viewpoint of working in these places. back when the military where there in large numbers it was quite lucrative doing the circuit as it was known, I knew a few people who went out as security workers aka mercenaries paid couple hundred per day tax free. sure there are risks but one guy was earning £350 per day with minimal expenses, went out for 6 months, no wife or kids and came back flush, did a second stint until he had enough to set up his own property business, He was an ex marine and no walter mitty turnout. those days are long gone, now its more mundane and also far more dangerous as there is little back up if it hits the fan.
If you do, then take your own orange jump suit, that way you will know it will fit properly in your cnn tv appearance.

Agree, ten plus years ago it was worth it, as now the market is oversaturated just the electrical trade by the sounds of it, the price is somewhat lower. Those blokes ‘working the circuit’, do get right in it at times.

I got offered some work in Mogadishu a couple of years ago. The recruiter was quite offended with my response.

A few years back there was a guy who used to post on here from Afghanistan. I remember seriously considering it at the time - Quickly reassessed the situation when the Fluor operatives were blown up by a rpgor some other grisley end. There was a couple of sparks on there. Quickly realised that being blown to bits nor starring as a orange suited extra on youtube were not for me. Each to their own like. I do remember the guy who used to post though, He was well into it and seemed to enjoy it.....Takes all kinds to make the wold eh lol.

Hi guys, hope we all doing well.

Does any of you ever worked in countries mentioned in title? Tbh... I do think about it quite properly since last couple of months. Know for a fact you can earn right money there, working through global companies.

Anybody been there? anybody know somebody who's been? just looking for a bit more info than online job offer provides.

Have a good weekend!
Been to both places mentioned, but I was working for MOD wouldn't want to go to either of those places again.

Done Afghan. Most work is in Kabul now and gated work so it's pretty safe but the money isn't there anymore. The real money is in gaza. Pulling fibre cable it was 15k a week last time I checked.... but your life expectancy is only 3 weeks so swings and roundabouts....

I worked with an Air con guy who'd worked in Afgan 10 years ago. Yes it was lucrative apparently.
Then he wasted all the money away.

He's just gone to Barbados recently to work on A/C in hotels.
Been there 2 months and not been paid..
It's going to be long hike home.

Done Afghan. Most work is in Kabul now and gated work so it's pretty safe but the money isn't there anymore. The real money is in gaza. Pulling fibre cable it was 15k a week last time I checked.... but your life expectancy is only 3 weeks so swings and roundabouts....

That's it then, 2.5 weeks 37,500.00 and do one, see you soon lads, well 2.5 weeks to be exact. :eek:

How does one go about getting this job

Worked in both a couple of years ago. Yes, the money was good, no I wouldn't go back.

There's money to be made in places your life isn't at risk every day.

It depends on your contract some require a full 12 months. Others are 3 on 1 off in months. Spoke to some friend out in Saudi all on minimum 1800 a week tax free with no accommodation charges they all do 3 on 1 off it I know Iraq is 6 months on then 6 off

I think it hugely depends on where exactly you're working - both geographically and for which organisation. I did some work in Jordan, just a few weeks - for sure Jordan is NOT the trouble spot Iraq and Afghanistan are... But I also know that large parts of Iraq are pretty much unaffected by war and violence, at least not directly affected. What you see on the news is all true.. but bare in mind they only put the cameras in the areas they expect to find trouble. Anyone avoiding the hot spots wouldn't hear or see any of it. It's not as if a roadside bomber is going to drive 100 miles away from a conflict zone and his enemies, and plant a device in some random place where nothing is going on.

Not sure i'd feel the same about any part of Afghanistan though, the whole place is a lawless mess, irrespective of whether you're in a conflict zone or not.

Reply to Working in Iraq or Afghanistan. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net