Discuss Working in live enclosures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

industryspark

TPN switchfuse bolted onto a busbar chamber. Bottom half (supply terminals) live and covered by the manufacturer fitted shield. Cables to be connected to the top load terminals. Some sparks i know would happily work on the top terminals even though the enclosure houses live, albiet shielded terminals.............opinions?

Regards

TPN switchfuse bolted onto a busbar chamber. Bottom half (supply terminals) live and covered by the manufacturer fitted shield. Cables to be connected to the top load terminals. Some sparks i know would happily work on the top terminals even though the enclosure houses live, albiet shielded terminals.............opinions?

Regards
If there is absolutely no means of isolation then sometimes we don't have any choice. I've done it as will have a lot of others on here but only as I say, when there's no other choice.

I know of a guy who has walked through a live chamber, and another time he has touched the bars to feel which ones were overheating, sounds crazy, but it is the Truth.

Im not saying one way is correct over another, just seeking opinions. EAWR states we shouldnt work on or close to live terminals............would working in the enclosure be classed as a breach of this if the switchfuse could easily be isolated with minimum inconvenience?

Is the shield screen there to provide protection against accidental contact or is it there to permit working in this way?

Im not saying one way is correct over another, just seeking opinions. EAWR states we shouldnt work on or close to live terminals............would working in the enclosure be classed as a breach of this if the switchfuse could easily be isolated with minimum inconvenience?

Is the shield screen there to provide protection against accidental contact or is it there to permit working in this way?
If there's a means of isolation then only a complete bloody idiot wouldn't use it.

With the fuses removed and padlock attached then i would say the risk is minimal. But, if its not unreasonable to have the supply terminals isolated too then i would have the whole isolator 'dead' on any method statement i put my name to.

Whats the risks, isolator terminals or body breaking on tightening up if old, dropping a tool down the back and it catching the live terminals ect...........unlikelly but if they can be negated, then i would.

If there's a means of isolation then only a complete bloody idiot wouldn't use it.

Hold your horses there a minute, if the said piece of switchgear has the live side fully shielded/insulated then isolating the bits behind the shields makes no difference at all to the work.

EAWR states that works should not be undertaken on or near live conductors where this may give rise to danger, if they are suitably protected then they will not give rise to danger and so live working is OK.

That said if there is a means of isolation then it should be used, take all precautions necessary to prevent exposure to danger.

The way EAWR words it:

No person shall be engaged in any work or activity on or so near any live (uninsulated) conductor that danger may arise unless...
it is unreasonable in all the circumstances for it to be dead, and...
it is reasonable in all the circumstances for him to be at work on or near it while it is live; and ...
suitable precautions (including where necessary the provision of suitable PPE) are taken to prevent injury.

But sometimes you just need to get cracked on :smilewinkgrin:

Hold your horses there a minute, if the said piece of switchgear has the live side fully shielded/insulated then isolating the bits behind the shields makes no difference at all to the work.
Not the way I read that mate. I took it to mean that the chamber can be isolated.
So far I stand by every word I've said on this one. Sometimes we have no choice but to work live but if there is a means of isolation then it should be used. No ifs or buts.

With the fuses removed and padlock attached then i would say the risk is minimal. But, if its not unreasonable to have the supply terminals isolated too then i would have the whole isolator 'dead' on any method statement i put my name to.

Whats the risks, isolator terminals or body breaking on tightening up if old, dropping a tool down the back and it catching the live terminals ect...........unlikelly but if they can be negated, then i would.

There's no point padlocking it if you are working on it, either the handle to turn it on with will be attached to the front cover you have taken off or will be interlocked so it can't be switched on while it's open.

And of course you'll be stood right in front of it so the only way it could be switched on accidentally is if you did it. If you need to padlock an LV switch which you are working on just in case you turn it on whilst you are working on it then you may want to get some more experience before working on your own!

Switch locked off and warning notices displayed
Mimic diagram altereed to show wor
Customer informed of intended works
Out going terminals proved dead with the appropriate GS38 test equipment
Method statement supplied
Permit to work live supplied
risk assessment supplied
2nd competent person in attendance
Barriers erected
PPE and insulated tools Supplied and used

Can't think of anything else, these arrangement are not in order

Lol, dont jump the gun and be so presumptious Davesparks...............

The handle for ON/OFF isnt built into the door, therefore the door can be removed and the switch still operated.............this means you could throw the switch and the supply fuse bolt terminals would be live and accesible...............Admittetdly, why you would throw the handle is another question but the padlock would negate this possibility.

Lol, dont jump the gun and be so presumptious Davesparks...............

The handle for ON/OFF isnt built into the door, therefore the door can be removed and the switch still operated.............this means you could throw the switch and the supply fuse bolt terminals would be live and accesible...............Admittetdly, why you would throw the handle is another question but the padlock would negate this possibility.

Which make and model of switchfuse is it? I don't think I've ever come across one that isn't interlocked with the cover!

Couldnt tell you the model number but it was an old square D type one.

Im not saying either way is correct but to me this is always a grey area. In effect you have live terminals inside the enclosure your working in but they are in effect shielded (just a general plastic cover, not individual shrouding)..............as you would be working on the top terminals, the risk is low.............but, if the bottom could be isolated out of hours, then would anyone doing it the live way be breaking EAWR? Thats my query.

How would anyone doing Domestic work fit MCB / Rcbo and connect up in a Consumer unit if it wasn't acceptable to work in an enclosure with shielded live terminals?

If in the Board the O.P is refering to there are no gaps in the shielding to drop anything in or get fingers past, then it must be O.K to work in it.

If it was one of the old MEM switches with a piece of Paxolin held in by split pins that'd be different.

The only locking off I'd be doing would be on the other end of the cable.

Right or wrong I have been doing it for many years now, it's 2nd nature to me.
I often have to install new supplies from mccb panel boards which means having to slot a mccb onto live busbar which does require you to be very careful when you can be inches from a 2000amp live busbar, but there are not many companies that would allow you to shut down an entire factory while i put a new bit of kit in.
This is not bravado just the real world, sometimes these things have to be done.

Reply to Working in live enclosures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net