Discuss Working In London... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LankyWill

I’ve seen a fair few well paying jobs atm, an agency I worked for last summer have offered me a job there that should last a while.

Has anybody worked in London and commuted by train? It only takes about an hour from where I currently live to get there.

What’s it like logistically?
Do you just take hand tools and a 18v driver in a backpack style bag?

I have work locally but the day rate that way seems very attractive, but I’m sort of settled with having access to everything in my van.

I’ve seen a fair few well paying jobs atm, an agency I worked for last summer have offered me a job there that should last a while.

Has anybody worked in London and commuted by train? It only takes about an hour from where I currently live to get there.

I have work locally but the day rate that way seems very attractive, but I’m sort of settled with having access to everything in my van.
Same here, there is plenty of work in Northamptonshire.

It used to be decent working in london. Big long projects to settle into. Not so much these days. Although, the hourly rate may seem reasonable
, its more about the overall hours and deals you'll get e.g 12 hours paid and 10 hours worked etc this doesnt happen any more on london sites, as with overtime which is invariably paid time for time.
£23 ph on a 35 hr week is worse than £17 on a 40hr week with an additional 8hr uplift. Very unlikely to occur. Also tool safety, contractors rarely provide safe lock ups for subbies and London is becoming a shithole, so you've got a much higher chance of getting your gear nicked. . Rush hour in london on public transport with tools is a madmans game. You physically can not fit on a central or Piccadilly line train with a PROPER DECENT tool kit. In rush hour. Factor in the costs of London transport and regional rail, commute time and the increased likely hood of getting stabbed. And you'll arrive at my state of reasoning for leaving London 2 years ago for good.

Just off topic slightly but if you drove to a site within the congestion charge and stop at a hotel all week drive to and from the site all week then drive out on Friday do you pay one charge or for each day you are in it?

Just off topic slightly but if you drove to a site within the congestion charge and stop at a hotel all week drive to and from the site all week then drive out on Friday do you pay one charge or for each day you are in it?
As long as your vehicle is not caught on camera between entering and leaving the congestion zone then your fine.

Basically keep the vehicle out of view from the cameras on the days you dont want to pay for and you wont have to pay it on those days

And how do you avoid them? For those who have a genuine answer to my question apart from the obvious of avoiding them would be helpfull.

And how do you avoid them? For those who have a genuine answer to my question apart from the obvious of avoiding them would be helpfull.
There are really only two options either locate somewhere to park just outside of conjestion zone then walk or public transport in,or get in before it starts as I believe there are only cameras to record people coming in.

7am until 6pm Monday to Friday is the congestion charge times I believe I don't know how that works if you park up in side the zone during those times, I always used the train as parking can be expensive not to mention the traffic congestion. You can't leave tools unattended on most London jobs as they will get stolen. I used to use a Fatmax back back which I could jam quite a few tools and battery drill in. Some firms will provide power tools but not all. Commuting on public transport can be hard work though even with an early start it can be difficult to get on trains unless you do as others do and barge on, politeness means you'll spend a long time waiting. I also left about 2 years ago and I definitely do not miss it. I have seen adverts for jobs with reasonable rates of pay and long hours for those who are working away from home and staying in digs.

If you seriously consider this.......... do your sums carefully regarding commuting.

Diesel, possibly congestion charge and parking

parking, train & tube

I hate working inside the M25 these days - let alone London

I
You physically can not fit on a central or Piccadilly line train with a PROPER DECENT tool kit. In rush hour. Factor in the costs of London transport and regional rail, commute time and the increased likely hood of getting stabbed. And you'll arrive at my state of reasoning for leaving London 2 years ago for good.

Don't be a drama queen, you won't get stabbed, if you are self employed ravelling costs are tax deductible, I can get on any tube I just push harder then anyone else if I need to and carry an old fashioned metal tool box with sharp edges as no one walks in to you.

If you park on the street inside the congestion charge, vehicles with cameras will spot you and you will get fined.
Most of the Boroughs outside the congestion charge have resident parking zones, though there are a few places you can park for free.
Finding somewhere free to park close to a Tube or rail station is the difficulty.
If you park at either of the Westfields, you can park all day for £5 (East London) or £6 (West London). Have to sign up and enter your Reg. No. online for this.
You can then use the Tube, DLR or rail.
There’s quite a bit of talk about the new ULEZ which will cost £12.50 per day to enter. Not sure where it’s going to be, but within the North and South circular, or even within the M25 are possibilities.
Would need to check online whether your vehicle is exempt on the ULEZ checker.

Reply to Working In London... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net