• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Working In London... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LankyWill

I’ve seen a fair few well paying jobs atm, an agency I worked for last summer have offered me a job there that should last a while.

Has anybody worked in London and commuted by train? It only takes about an hour from where I currently live to get there.

What’s it like logistically?
Do you just take hand tools and a 18v driver in a backpack style bag?

I have work locally but the day rate that way seems very attractive, but I’m sort of settled with having access to everything in my van.

P

paleosparky13

I’ve seen a fair few well paying jobs atm, an agency I worked for last summer have offered me a job there that should last a while.

Has anybody worked in London and commuted by train? It only takes about an hour from where I currently live to get there.

I have work locally but the day rate that way seems very attractive, but I’m sort of settled with having access to everything in my van.
Same here, there is plenty of work in Northamptonshire.

It used to be decent working in london. Big long projects to settle into. Not so much these days. Although, the hourly rate may seem reasonable
, its more about the overall hours and deals you'll get e.g 12 hours paid and 10 hours worked etc this doesnt happen any more on london sites, as with overtime which is invariably paid time for time.
£23 ph on a 35 hr week is worse than £17 on a 40hr week with an additional 8hr uplift. Very unlikely to occur. Also tool safety, contractors rarely provide safe lock ups for subbies and London is becoming a shithole, so you've got a much higher chance of getting your gear nicked. . Rush hour in london on public transport with tools is a madmans game. You physically can not fit on a central or Piccadilly line train with a PROPER DECENT tool kit. In rush hour. Factor in the costs of London transport and regional rail, commute time and the increased likely hood of getting stabbed. And you'll arrive at my state of reasoning for leaving London 2 years ago for good.

E

elsparko

on the flipside, if you get work in the posh end then ££££££££

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
Just off topic slightly but if you drove to a site within the congestion charge and stop at a hotel all week drive to and from the site all week then drive out on Friday do you pay one charge or for each day you are in it?

Dillb

Electrician's Arms
Just off topic slightly but if you drove to a site within the congestion charge and stop at a hotel all week drive to and from the site all week then drive out on Friday do you pay one charge or for each day you are in it?
As long as your vehicle is not caught on camera between entering and leaving the congestion zone then your fine.

Dillb

Electrician's Arms
Basically keep the vehicle out of view from the cameras on the days you dont want to pay for and you wont have to pay it on those days

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
And how do you avoid them? For those who have a genuine answer to my question apart from the obvious of avoiding them would be helpfull.

Rosco

Electrician's Arms
And how do you avoid them? For those who have a genuine answer to my question apart from the obvious of avoiding them would be helpfull.
There are really only two options either locate somewhere to park just outside of conjestion zone then walk or public transport in,or get in before it starts as I believe there are only cameras to record people coming in.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.