Discuss Working in Malta. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

manda

Just out of interest really, has anyone had experience of working in Malta? I've been visiting the Island since being a kiddie, and wondered if our Quals are accepted over there etc. I've had a quick look on google but not really getting much info up. I'd imagine our quals would be fairly similar in that they have pretty much the same set up as the uk, no need for adaptors out there, plus their close links with Britain. It has always been in my mind that I'd like to retire out there, and if the opportunity arose in the future to work on the island I'd seriously consider it. :)

Think you'll find they will follow pretty much the UK system, similar to Cyprus really!! ... Just that, there regs as such will be a little behind those that are current in the UK. You'll probably find that most domestic earthing systems are TT, as it's cheaper to distribute without carrying an earth around, or by grounding the neutral at numerous locations along the supply cable/overheads path....

Financially you will be on nowhere near as good a rate of pay as in the UK.

I worked alongside a turbine mechanic some 4 or 5 years ago. Due to him living in Malta, he was getting paid the Maltese rate which was about 1/2 to 1/3rd of the UK rate for the same job. Even at that though he said that he was better off financially due to the lower cost of living over there and also the quality of life he and his family enjoyed was far superior to what he left behind in the UK.

Last edited:
That is true, wages are less but the quality of life is awesome, work to live, dont live to work.
I have heard work is a bit thin on the ground over there though unless your into aircon in a big way...
Mind due works a bit thin here at the moment too.

Thanks Guys. Yeah I was aware the pay would be less than UK as pay rates in Malta do leave a lot to be desired compared to other places in Europe, but as your friend said, the cost of living, utilities etc are generally cheaper and the way of life out there would be worth it. Although some things do cost a little more due to it being an island, all in all it would pretty much even out. I'd not really be looking at it as an option just yet as I have my parents to consider, but in the future I'd have a good think about moving out there. Even if it was just to eventually retire. I just wondered how transferable our quals are. I have contacted a company out there to see if they can enlighten me. :)

Hi mate, I dont know if you ever made it over their I am married to maltese and am moving over in the next few months, to work for a company you need your A and B licence, I was told my qualifications are not accepted. However you can work self employed not sure about rates to charge cant seem to find any guidelines

Reply to Working in Malta. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net