Discuss Works vehicle in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

ben2012

I realise this could be a slightly contentious issue but next year I'm looking at going on my own, now I need to have a vehicle with 4 seats at least and in order to keep costs down I only want to run one vehicle for both home and work. With this in mind and the fact that I'm a Land Rover lover I've thought about buying a discovery 3 manual (this will give better mpg). Anybody have any thoughts? Am I mad or any other suggestions? Oh I've already decided against any pickup type thing as I don't think they will do what I want. Thanks

Personally I prefer to have a car which my wife uses during the day and a van for me. This lets me keep work separate from my social life makes it easer for me to try and turn off at nights/weekends. Down side of a 4x4 is you will have no excuse when it snows!

Thanks for the replies guys, in an ideal world I would have two vehicles but in order to keep costs down I'm looking at having one. It probably won't be a perminante solution but short term I feel it's the best way

What about one of them Vito things with the rear seats and windows?
Captains seats in the front if I remember correctly.
Ambiente name comes to mind but not sure.

Boydy

That about a estate. Should tick most boxes.

Or if your set on a dico 3 get a roof rack. If it mainly domestic work you do should be fine.

Transporter! You can get the crew van! 3 seats in front, 3 x removable seats in the back and the sliding door has a window with more than enough space to keep all your gear and tools!

Nissan largo is what I use for work and family it is great, seats configuration is quick and you don't have to take them out never short of room would highly recommend

A vivaro/ trafic crewbus.
room for 5 passengers and if you get a sport they look pretty swish.
just not in white cos they look a bit of a storm trooper with all that body coloured bumper stuff

I started out using SWB Defender, but found that the load space was just too small although the raised work platform was useful. Then looked into a Discovery / Disco Van and concluded that it was too expensive (in any form) and there wasn't enough practical space in the back. The commercial version is in my view a bit of a joke in that you don't even get a flat floor or bulkhead, just a normal Disco with the seats removed - you also only get two seats.

Now using a Hilux with a hardtop on the back. So I get two rows of seats (or with the back seat folded up lots of room for the expensive bits (tools) and a fair amount of room in the hardtop for bits. Also the tailgate doubles as handy workbench. The only downside is that you have to be tidy and it helps to have everything in boxes in the back so you can pull them out to get to everything easily - without resorting to climbing in to find things. However it is still a compromise compared to a separate van, but I can't justify the expense of a second vehicle.

4x4 could work, but i think you are looking for a "crew van". Van that as some van space, but extra seats. Transit connect has a version with 4 or 5 seats i think, if you want a small van, space could be limited though with seats, so the transit has a version too, heres an example, looks nice actually!

http://www.4crossescommercials.co.uk/details.php?id=131

I've got the same dilemma at the minute. I'm running a fledgling business and carting round a family of four in a picasso (less than ideal). I'm currently looking at the crew cab option instead of running two vehicles. I have seen a couple and you do sacrifice space obviously, but with a decent roof rack and a couple of roof tubes they look to give the same space of a small to mid sized van.

I have just got an L200 forth is reason. Have debated it for yearsbut so far so good. Had a ally tray made up and it slide I and out of the plastic load liner in the back which is perfect. Getting 34 to the gallon so not far off a crew van

Oh I've already decided against any pickup type thing as I don't think they will do what I want. Thanks

Interested by the comment on the pickup truck, I recently bought an L200 double cab and with the canopy on the back I get the 5 seats and space for all of the tools etc, to me these type of vehicles were made for the requirements you have.

also depending on how you are setting yourself up pickups are very good from a tax perspective. An L200 is officially a commercial vehicle so road tax £215 a year and if you run it through a company and officially allow mileage and personal use tax bill very small.

If you run a standard discovery through a company and want to use it for personal use tax bill is calculated on the original list price and not current value which could hurt! There is a commercial disco version that doesn't get hit by tax man but only has two seats as someone else mentioned.

the pickup was my accountants recommendation - I had also initially discounted the idea and was looking at small vans like the caddy and accepting I would need to hire something when I needed 4 seats

just my 2pence worth

paul

Reply to Works vehicle in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net