Discuss Workshop Lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am trying to find the most cost effective way of lighting a woodwork shop which is in an old building, 5m wide and 30 m long and could have up to 20 men in there.
It has a pitched roof about 4m at the peak and 2m at the walls. I was advised to use LED low bay lights and bought a 200w flying sauce type to try out but they are not very satisfactory because I get a very bright floor pattern about 4m diameter but the walls are dark, so the whole space feels dark.
These lamps have 120 deg spread which is nothing like enough.
Would LED T5 or T8 be any better, and if so what spacing would I need. I could either set them at the apex or on the purlins which are lower but about 2.5m apart.
Suggestions please from people who have some experience of workshop lighting.

led batons, mounted to lighting trunking, suspended on chain.
probably do 2 runs 1.5m from each wall.
8 x 5ft or 6ft fittings equally spaced down each side should give a good spread of usable lighting.

led batons, mounted to lighting trunking, suspended on chain.
probably do 2 runs 1.5m from each wall.
8 x 5ft or 6ft fittings equally spaced down each side should give a good spread of usable lighting.
I know that flourescents have even light all round, but I was led to believe that LED battens do not give as much to the side as to the bottom. Is this true

120 should be ok if you are mounting them as suggested.
if you mount the lights about a foot higher than the top of the walls then all will be good.

Stupid idea here but if you have access to the roof you could do the old 2lt pop bottle with water and bleach light refraction method? Obviously wouldn't help at night but in the day it'd be alright (providing it meets minimum lux requirements)

Robus Sultan 6ft twin led fittings, they would provide you with more than ample light I reckon.

Each fitting is just over 11000 lumens you might be best doing 2 rows as opposed to 1 row down the centre.

Reply to Workshop Lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net