Discuss Workshop Q light gauge 220v can a 3 phase 415v connection be made up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello again and Happy NY all.

I have decided to take a small piece of family land and erect a house ( live for a few years)

As part of this, i have to do a lot myself, joinery carpentry etc.

I have access to a rural farm workshop to conduct all, its dry but the electrical connection is run off a very light gauge 220v which is rolled out over about 300m in standard 220v cable and plugged into the wall on the other end.

Whenever I have tried to weld in the past, it blew the old fuse board on the plug in end. I guessing these old screw in fuses should be replaced. The connection was set up in the 70s approx

What if anything can I do to test it and upgrade it to run joinery machines that require 3 phase 415v and about 5kw or 2 x 2.2kw motors.

This is one of the machines 2 x 2.2kw, 3 phase motors run from individual starters

It would be one machine at a time.

It would be great to know your advice on this matter, I want to work safely and not miss trick if there is one.:)

Thank you all.

Get a couple of local recognised electrical contractors to meet on site. Explain your requirements and get them to design and quote for what you require.
You're starting from scratch.....it seems like an accident waiting to happen at present.
I'd like to see what voltage you're using 300m from the socket.:(

for power levels like that over such a dinstance will require much much bigger cables than you already use
and it's not going to be cheap !
I would guess at least 10mm cable.

Is the farm workshop closer to where your new house will be built (than the 300m to the existing supply)? If so, you could get the new supply to your new house installed (perhaps into a small shed or something for a temporary site supply) and then take a feed from there.

As you increase the length of a cable, the volt drop increases and so you need to increase the diameter of the cable to counter that. 300 meters is a long way to run power at 220v, so getting a closer supply would help.

You haven't a pups chance of running those machines.

It would be easier to get a generator.

What you need to do is get the DNO to put in a proper three phase supply and necessary meter. One of the first things you need to tell them is the electrical load that you wish to use.
It is going to be expensive. If you are in a really rural area could even need an extension to the high voltage network and a new DNO transformer.
Tell them about your plans for your new house as well.
While a three phase generator might be cheaper I would suggest that you need a qualified expert to design and install if you go that route.

What you need to do is get the DNO to put in a proper three phase supply and necessary meter. One of the first things you need to tell them is the electrical load that you wish to use.
It is going to be expensive. If you are in a really rural area could even need an extension to the high voltage network and a new DNO transformer.
Tell them about your plans for your new house as well.
While a three phase generator might be cheaper I would suggest that you need a qualified expert to design and install if you go that route.
Something tells me that just might be a bit out of his price range.;)
….but it's gonna cost him, whichever way he goes about it....if he does.
Like you suggest, genny, if there's no 3 phase, or inverters and a bloody big single phase supply cable.:)

Last edited:
I would go for the generator suggestion too. You can always sell it on when you have no further need for it.
The cable is a white elephant in my opinion.

I would go for the generator suggestion too. You can always sell it on when you have no further need for it.
The cable is a white elephant in my opinion.

Thanks all for your input

sorry for the delay getting back, all great advice, my conclusion is I have seen lots of 380v three phase diesel gennys that are more in my price range ( wink wink)

Can i use an invertor to get the 380v up to 415V? VFD ETC.

It was an old legacy 220v cable installation by farmers( with no proper workshop), it prob needs a proper three phase supply of its own and that would be very pricey too.

EG The machine I want to run is about 5kw and 415v.

Thank you all!
[automerge]1581432514[/automerge]
Thanks all for your input

sorry for the delay getting back, all great advice, my conclusion is I have seen lots of 380v three phase diesel gennys that are more in my price range ( wink wink)

Can i use an invertor to get the 380v up to 415V? VFD ETC.

It was an old legacy 220v cable installation by farmers( with no proper workshop), it prob needs a proper three phase supply of its own and that would be very pricey too.

EG The machine I want to run is about 5kw and 415v.

Thank you all!
HI all, it has come to me, I need to stick to using 220-240 machines, what I want vs what i need, thanks all for the support. WHEN I SET UP MY OWN WORKSHOP, ITLL HAVE THREE [PHASE :)

Last edited:

Reply to Workshop Q light gauge 220v can a 3 phase 415v connection be made up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net